1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 wheel alignment

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S3 Big Andy, Jun 16, 2008.

1. S3 Big Andy

S3 Big Andy Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Do I need 4 wheel alignment or can I just do the fronts? they are wearing on the edge and only done 4000 miles!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

If they are wearing a bit more on the inside that is normal suspension setup... it they are worn evenly (I mean each tire same wear pattern... that is fine).

You can align only the front but if you are realigning all values and not only toe you should perform a check on the rear geometry as well... I mean camber and toe as well..

Pedro

4. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

Mine do more on the inside edge too.

5. S3 Big Andy

S3 Big Andy Stealth Beast Baby Yay

new tyres every 5000 miles! feck I will need drive a tad more conservatively

6. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

no man... My car as £14k and only now the fronts ones need changing...

Pedro

7. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

iv found the same. the insides of my tyres are wearing and wondering whether its just tracking or does it need 4 wheel alignment. on the subject anyone know of anywhere good places in westmidlands?

8. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

it is normal.... Don't worry mate! You only need alignment if wear is different from left to right tyres.... But the S3 has negative camber on te front wheels so is really normal the inside wears more... But even wearing more mine have done almost 14k miles

Pedro

9. IN-A3

IN-A3 Member

No wrong!
    Front wheels are toe out if wearing inside edge.

10. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

Is it really too wrong?

Negative camber also makes wheels wear more on the inside.... And without knowing the actually standard suspension setup I would bet that car as negative camber on the fronts...

And I actually don't know the factory specs but a bit of toe out might be standard to improve corner entry...

Pedro

11. IN-A3

IN-A3 Member

Please dont mix race car and road car settings.
    For neg camber to wear the inside edges on the front of a car on road tyres you would be out side the factory specs. 0.5 neg degrees is plenty.
    Toe out is not nice on a road car as this makes the car nervous under heavy braking.