S3 Weight

AL_B

Reaction score
I think I have finally got to the bottom of this.

Numerous discussions were had on the old a-s.net. So in the end I contacted Audi to get an official answer on the S3's weight.

In the brochures weights are quoted as follows:-
Old S3, 99-01, unladen weight: 1375kg
Current S3 (face lift), 01->, unladen weight: 1420kg.

I asked Audi to confirm whether the weight of the current S3 is indeed 1420kg. They said yes.

I decided to do a little more research, and I looked at the Vehicle Data Sticker in the boot. On it was a figure of 1464 - not far from 1420 I thought. I then remembered I had a copy of that A3 Maintenance Manual PDF, in it is a section describing the various parts of the Vehicle Data Sticker. The 1464 is the weight of my car.

vehiclesticker.gif

Why was I so bothered about finding out the weight? Just so I (or others) could work out the power-to-weight ratio correctly. As most car mags quote the weight wrong, and thus the power-to-weight figure is wrong, e.g. EVO.

AL

Oh no my S3 is even heavier. According to my Vehicle Data Sticker mine weighs a whopping 1480kg. Must be the sunroof that adds that amount of weight.

Weight of mine March 2001 S3 1465Kg

The discriptions of all the codes are also found next to the sticker in your service book on the inside front page, next to the sticker, which is the same as the one in the spare wheel bit of your boot.

So, with another 100(ish)kgs of weight why are the facelift 210 S3's not significantly slower than the older cars?

I'm confused! I am sure something doesn't add up!

I know most facelifts are 225 (which would help explain where the extra weight gets lost in the performance), but mine isn't. I could not tell the difference between mine and the 225 version. I know there's the rumour that all facelifts were nearer 225, but someone muxt have had theirs dyno'd?
Just wondering how all S3's seem the same to me, with different power, and now (always thought it weighed 1375kg) with a hefty weight difference too!

I had my 2000 X Plate 210bhp Facelift RR'ded and it produced 227bhp before the Remap if this helps.

I just checked mine 1413kgs,lighter than your average tubby S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifAndy

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
I just checked mine 1413kgs,lighter than your average tubby S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra Weight.... Extra Quality thats what I say....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Brembos will even the weight out Rich,their HUGE !Being fitted on Thursday afternoon .Cheers Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get it right, you will reduce the unsprung weight! My 332mm disc and Boxster S callipers reduced the weight by 33%!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Brembos will even the weight out Rich,their HUGE !Being fitted on Thursday afternoon .Cheers Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get it right, you will reduce the unsprung weight! My 332mm disc and Boxster S callipers reduced the weight by 33%!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if my AmD Brembo GT kit is lighter than the factory stuff?, the original disks and calipers were heavy man!

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if my AmD Brembo GT kit is lighter than the factory stuff?, the original disks and calipers were heavy man!

[/ QUOTE ]

The solid discs weigh a fair bit more than 2 piece.. however as the calliper are alloy, its probably even or still a bit lighter.

Rich