1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 warm up time?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Itguy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 19, 2014]
    Another fan of oil temp over water temp here. Water temp is so misleading as in new cars it rises so much quicker than the oil temp. Shed-loads of owners must misinterpret the two and start ragging once the water temp is nearly at 90, not realising the oil temp may be as low as 50 degrees.

In the 8P the oil temp was buried in the DIS menus, and when selected only stayed up for about 5 seconds before it reverted back to main screen. It couldn't be selected permanently. As a general rule of thumb I would never exceed 4000rpm in my car for at least 7-10 minutes of first operation (ambient air temps depending), but after that it's fair game.
  2. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

[Mar 19, 2014]

Hmmm that's interesting.

I will have to see if I can dig out Oil temp on the S5 dis then.

I must confess to relying on the water temp myself and must say the S5 does get up to temp MUCH quicker than my last two TT's and retains more heat after the car has been stationary for a period too.
  3. stetheo

stetheo Active Member

[Mar 19, 2014]
    I wish there was a way for it to be selected on the DIS permanently on the 8P, as I find the oil temp gauge the be miles out on accuracy. After driving an B7 RS4 where it is there permanently, it kind of bugs me that i'm not able to have it in the S3.

Now they appear to have removed it altogether on the 8V unless you have VCDS, which I guess is good if you have access to VCDS.
  4. Toadoftoadhall

Toadoftoadhall Member

[Mar 19, 2014]
    When I start up I always use the lap time DIS display to monitor the oil temp until it's about 80. So can the dealer change the set up to show oil temp on other DIS screens too? Is this the vcds settings?
  5. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl

[Mar 19, 2014]
    All this backlash about the boost gauge !

You do realise that many 8P S3 owners were clamouring for a boost gauge on the S3, even more so when the RS3 came out with a boost gauge in the DIS !!

So Audi listened, and gave the S3 a boost gauge !

(Admittedly at the expense of a water temp gauge !)

There is still a water temp red light though, let's hope this come on before it's too late !

edit:
    thinking about this a little more, the thermo management of this engine is so different and advanced compared with a traditional engine, so in all likelihood, a water gauge is maybe superfluous.

As as warren stated above, the warm up time is so much quicker (and oil and water have differing warm up gradients), this is mainly due to the integrated casting of the exhaust manifold within the head, that a single water temperature sensor would not be reflecting the true situation.

Add to that the fully electronic coolant control system, incorporating the 2 electric motor drive rotary slide valves (no more traditional wax thermostat) and the water cooled oil cooler, this will already have pretty good sensors around it to work - so I would bet that the red water temperature light is not connected to a simple single temp sensor, it will be illuminated under the control of the ECU, with inputs from various sensors around the engine.

Given all this, a single point water temp gauge would be meaningless.

Even more so when the control system actively runs the engine at 107 degC for part load scenarios (to minimise friction and gain max efficiency), and 85 degC for full load driving.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    warren_S5 and Silky-S3 like this.
  6. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

[Mar 19, 2014]
    I fitted a aftermarket boost gauge to my old 8P S3. Love it
    warren_S5 likes this.
  7. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

[Mar 19, 2014]
    Yep

In the computer DIS display you know how you can scroll through the different things, mpg average 1 and 2, range, average speed 1 and 2 etc etc - with VCDS you can switch on oil temp to appear in that list too.

Therefore you can see oil temp on all screens that show the current computer setting - ie most of them!
    Toadoftoadhall likes this.
  8. Rexus

Rexus Active Member

[Mar 20, 2014]
    In a stable situation, oil temperature is indeed a better indicator of engine temperature than water temp. However, if the engine temperature starts to increase due to a fault condition, an increase in water temperature will show a problem much sooner than a rise in oil temperature, which nearly always lags that of water.
    PilotAudi and warren_S5 like this.