1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 vs new Ford Focus RS?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Esox Mark, Apr 30, 2009.

1. audi_steve

audi_steve Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    I think it's a long shot. Ford don't really have any EU market RWD platforms....

It'll probably be some Haldex variant with a fancy electronic diff if they ever bother.
  2. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

[Apr 30, 2009]
    S'pose you're right there m8 :ermm: bah, my hypothetical new Ford would have to be a Mustang then...handling is overrated anway :lmfao:

V8 grunter and live-axle: that's handling that I'm comfortable with :happy:
  3. Irnbrukid

Irnbrukid Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    Not sure about this comment look at the history of all RS cars and the residuals, the last focus RS was still worth 15k after 5 years, no S3 is gonna do that.
  4. WiZBiT

WiZBiT Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    Only due to the fact that they were LE.
  5. martyboy

martyboy Member

[Apr 30, 2009]
    quality parking of the s3!!! :)

6. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[May 1, 2009]
    sorry to say as an Audi lover i'd have the RS over the S3.
  7. audi_driver

audi_driver S LINE

[May 1, 2009]
    the Rs is one ugly looking car me thinks, compare it side by side the s3 looks so much classier. I would never spend 28 grand on a car like that no matter how fast it goes. Maybe I am just a brand snob:)
  8. Irnbrukid

Irnbrukid Member

[May 1, 2009]
    Is this one not going to be limited also :confused:
  9. S.

S. Well-Known Member

[May 1, 2009]
    stage IV? factory tunned engine to it's max?
    anyway i don't find it that ugly, i think it's the wrong look at me color and oversized everything compared to s3 which is more everyday car and when you need it, it turns into a beast. plus fwd against awd? and the cheap interior against audi's classy?? well if i'm going to pay that much for a car, everytime would go for a classy interior with the awd and not look at me styling. so s3 all the way :s3addict:
  10. I'mRonBurgundy?

I'mRonBurgundy? Lets make that kitten purr...

[May 1, 2009]
    Me too especially in the green. Shame that colour's sold out.
  11. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[May 1, 2009]
    Give it a couple of months and it'll be back. Just like the orange was limited to 500 cars on the ST, until they decided to let anyone have it after they all sold out.
  12. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[May 1, 2009]
    Autocar magazine have just tested the new RS against the Nissan GT-R and the RS came out on top.

For any car to be able to be even ranked near the GT-R is an amazing car nevermind beating it in terms of driving experience.

The S3 wouldn't even get close.

I guess its all about what you want from a car really but as i said before the RS would be my choice in the RS vs S3 topic.
  13. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[May 1, 2009]
    I'm sorry, but I think that's complete ********!

The reason the RS came out on top was that he was having to drive the car at pretty much its limit to try and keep up with the GT-R, so in their eyes, had more fun. You can even see some points in the video they use where the GT-R is just taking the piss out of the Focus. As for the size, a GT-R's about 5cm wider than an RS and shorter than an A4. It's hardly huge.

What I'd like to see is a completely unbiased magazine review of any car. It just doesn't seem to happen anymore.
  14. Jamiekip

Jamiekip Member

[May 1, 2009]
    Totally agree!!!
    You sometimes can't help wondering what outside factors are involved nowadays!!!
    Evo and Porsche..... yawn, every group test reads the same :search:
  15. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

[May 1, 2009]
    I would love an RS, but for one huge draw back.....

Its just far too chavvy. Remove the **** looking spoiler for a start. Any 35+ bloke in it will look like they are having a mid life crisis! Gimme one for a day sure, but I couldn't honestly live with people laughing at me, or not taking me seriously!

Great cars don't make you look like a bell end imho!

I too would love to read reviews based on fact and unbiased opinions, rather than all this ***** they print, ive stopped buying mags now... well car mags anyway :)
  16. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

[May 1, 2009]
    pretty sure thats wrong, they haven't decided yet, I dont think its a deffo no
  17. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

[May 2, 2009]
    :iagree: I'm just over 30 and consider myself far too old to drive something that looks like the Focus RS
  18. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 2, 2009]
    I'd love one. I like the looks and it'll drive well, being a recent Ford.
    And it would be in green.
    I'm 37 and would be more than happy to have an RS parked on the driveway.

But...I stuggle to see where it fits, for me personally.
    If I was spending nearly £30k on a daft weekend wild thing, I can think of other cars that offer more, for less (OK, not new).
    If I wanted a really good new car for everyday use, considering the weather, it would be hard to take one over an S3.

Great achievement though...
  19. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

[May 2, 2009]
    Each to his own sir :salute: I'm with you on what it would be useful for though, I'm sure their are more fun cars to be had for 30k as toys, and more practical alternatives for family/daily use. I'm sure however it will have plenty of fans who will lap it up though, it is an RS after all :happy:

I've got nothing against green and lairy, just never been a fan of wings n' tings...if I fancied sticking out like a sore thumb I'd be much happier rolling in this...

[​IMG]
  20. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[May 2, 2009]
    It does look like an ST thats crashed into Halfords.
  21. dgannon

dgannon Dolphin Grey 2007 S3

[May 3, 2009]
    I've driven the S3 (my car) and a couple of ST's, one was the standard ST and the other Ford tuned with 310 bhp(ish)...

Unless the new RS is stupidly different to the ST i can't see how it would come close to comparing with an S3.

The only thing which really gets me with the ST/RS is the sound they make :)
  22. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[May 4, 2009]
    hmmm S3 or RS ? well the RS is a lot of money for what it is, but its got to be more fun than an audi ... my a3 .. well ok TDi is the most boring car i have ever owned, not sur if its the dsg or the car but its the only one i've looked to replace in less than 12 months of ownership. As soon as I can find the right spec focus st then it will go.
  23. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

[May 5, 2009]

oh no steve youve done it now you have slagged a diesel :tapedshut:your gona get some stick now lol ....No serious how come you think its boring though all i here is that deisels are better than petrol id like to here why you think its boring im thinking of getting a deisel myself after all the positives i hear on here my 2.0tfsi does cost quite alot in feul ......
  24. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

[May 5, 2009]
    Mine's boring as well. Don't get me wrong it's a very good car and I have deep respect for it's abilities...but it's still yawnsville :lazy:
  25. Young un

Young un Member

[May 6, 2009]
    Im mid 20's yet I feel too old to be seen in the RS.
    I went through the max power modding phase during my teens but I honestly feel too old for that now. (That doesnt mean I dont appreciate tasteful mods anymore!)

I own an S3 and I occasionally drive my GF's TTS...both very clinical and very boring. I have more fun in her mini cooper! It's feels and drives like a road legal go kart.
    Although the RS appears OTT with the brash styling and 'cheap' interior, I must admit it looks nice in blue...just my opinion though
  26. 10blazin

[May 6, 2009]
    for 30 bag id be getting an s5 or rs4 second hand although the focus rs in black looks nice but i just wouldnt bother i can think of tons of cars id want first ,s3 ,s3 sportback,rs4,s5 ,evo12 ,subaru impreza list goes on
  27. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[May 6, 2009]
    You can't get the RS in black.
  28. Young un

Young un Member

[May 6, 2009]
    I wanted a quickish hatchback with subtle styling and premium quality.
    The mini is fun but I couldn't live with it full time and drive it all day.
  29. MancDave

MancDave Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Beig part of the Blue Oval world for over 15 years,,, You have to understand the RS marque..

All of them still demand lots of money for what they are?

Motorsport Roots that ruled for a long time!

Me personally love the Focus RS version 1 , it ate up the 212bhp easily? Forget about the aggressive diff , it was no more aggressive than say the DC5 Type R diff??

The focus ST came out and i hated it.. The ST badge alone will never touch RS , hard to understand but thats how it is?

I think the new RS is absolutly stunning and just shouts Hot Hatch... I am 30 years old and i would own in a heartbeat? As it is RS i bet its a absolute hoot to drive everyday:arco:

Having owned a
    series 1 rs turbo custom
    sierra rs cosworth 3dr
    and quite a few other fast fords there just something there that seems to compell me:wacko:

I mean when i was like 7-10 years old and you seen a Sierra Rs Cosworth 3dr .. It was a speechless stare till out of sight.. Everthing in my bedroom WAS RS TURBO OR COSWORTH,, I wasn.t biest they just rocked:rock:.

Now time has moved on and lots of exotica cars are around ,, i never get that feeling i had for 10years+ when i seen a RS Cosworth,, ok im older but still i know no car since has replicated them feelings:applaus:

You only have to go on passionford website, the following is massive there must be a reason for this:salute:
  30. mac1403

mac1403 Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    The RS isn't my cup of tea, but all the youngsters in work rant and rave about them. Unfortunately the over styling is what appeals to people of that age group. Forget about the power and cost, even if they are similar i would stick to the S3 as I am much tooooooooo old to be driving anything like that. On a side note though......I wonder how many people, me included say its over styled, but moaned about Audi not styling the S3 enough to separate it from the rest of the s-line range
  31. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Read the latest Evo magazine. Focus ST + £1096 Mountune upgrade to a claimed 256bhp is faster than the 300bhp RS.

I'm starting to think you'd have to really really want that RS badge to not go for the ST.
  32. MancDave

MancDave Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    True and people will :laugh:

Must admit the S3 could of done with wider arches and bit more of the top spec look:blahblah1:
  33. 10blazin

[Jul 26, 2009]
    when they were testing it they were westing a black one but when they brought the car out , its just green blue and white eh they should of done one in black would of looked very nice ...

[​IMG]
  34. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Jul 26, 2009]
    TG tested the RS...Clarkson put his foot down and it tore the wheel out of his hand !! 300bhp + FWD + ****. Nuff said !
  35. dc240969

dc240969 Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    RS3 should have these
  36. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Evo mag put it against a mountuned (rousch in the US) ST and the RS was beat

nuff said
  37. paddy

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Mean while back at RS HQ !!

Ok guys, lets put a kick arse spoiler on the back to keep the down force over the driv.....Oh bugger !! Its front wheel drive...:mad:
  38. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Hardly. He wasn't even holding the wheel at the time.
  39. paddy

[Jul 26, 2009]
    OK..I challenge you to pull out of a T junction turning right quickly :) It was bad enough in my old 190bhp VR6.......
  40. PregnantNproud

PregnantNproud Gears of War

[Jul 27, 2009]
    Considering the performance of the RS compared to other 09' fords I wouldnt say its uber over styled. i'd say its styling is 'predictable' looking at the ST and the new fiestas. Its a little vulgar compared to the more sophisticated Audi sure.

I also agree the s3 does look annoyingly close to the sline also, though many people hate the new facelift with the led's as they look 'chavvy'.

For fun, it seems that the RS is like being in a gunship firing rockets and oil tankers but for a more reserved looking car, similar performance and upmarket quality, the s3 wins. Not amazingly fun to drive apparantly, though that is a matter of opinion. I havent driven one so!