1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s3 valves

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by edward_harris, Mar 22, 2008.

1. edward_harris

edward_harris s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

what power are the s3 valves good for? When do they start to get to hot and melt?
  2. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

Anything above 300bhp mate.Get some supertech valves fitted.
  3. grathies

grathies More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Above 300bhp and they melt? Thats a bit worrying for some people on here on standard valves pushing 330-350!
  4. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

i know of a few peoples engines expiring with a dropped valve on ihi.
  5. grathies

First Ive heard of it, the dropped valves could be down to anything from fuel pressure, timing degrees, set up

I know lots of people who use the 20vt from the S3s (in older cars tho) all running over 300bhp on standard internals and Ive yet to see one have any issues. Ive cracked 115k now and alls spot on still
  6. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

and what do you think your mtm is running?!
    bill brockbanks golf dropped a valve,dans kinnerleys golf dropped a valve.wilkos golf dropped a valve. Which cars are you taking that are running over 300bhp?
  7. grathies

I know what my cars running and Im more than happy with it (even tho their still **** cars!) First thing I did after buying it was get it RRd, and has been twice more since (its not a competition you know!)

Im talking about cars I know personally and locally, a 1989 Rallye with IHI Turbo running 360bhp without uprated Valves, a Mk2 Golf with IHI running 330bhp with standard Valves, Mk2 Ibiza running 330bhp with standard valves, all driven hard, and mines included in with that lot too.

Ive seen standard cars 'drop' valves, the link to powers a bit precarious really. Ive built my fare share of engines, from standard 8v to G60s, 16vTs, dabbled with a VR6T and the only time Ive ever seen problems with valves on them so far has been thru poor setup and fueling/timing issues
  8. HTC

HTC Active Member

Its known that after rods, the next 1.8T weakness is the valves. Supertech are a good upgrade.

However, I'm not sure how directly it is related to power. I would link it to cylinder pressures, exhaust temps etc, choice of map.
  9. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

It's more related to the strength of the valves themselves with the added pressure and heat and the fact you need to use the rev range alot more with ihi.
  10. edward_harris

edward_harris s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

um ok, so wheres the best place to look for these?
  11. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member