S3 Tyre Pressures for Goodyear F1 Aysmetrics 18"

carlo

Reaction score
I decided to get myself some new boots for my S3, have always gone for Conti's but a few people had commented on how they had gone down hill the last couple of years and the Autocar review seemed to say this too... I had Pirreli Rosso's on the car when I bought it and always felt it lacked grip compared to my A3, so decided to go for the F1 Asymetics... As 225, 40 r18s....

What a bad idea that was... As soon as I got in the car, drove out the garage and I instantly noticed body roll, and what felt like a very slight dead spot on my steering... Thought it must be them bedding in or they had left the sticker on, so drove home semi-carefully and couldn't get over how different the car felt... In a bad way...

The car now has what can only be described as a slight shimmy when changing direction, almost as if the tyre walls are flexing under the load... and it now pushes out the nose when you turn in, then you get a bit of what feels like the wheels at the back flexing giving a bit of oversteer and then you get understeer again... Really not good... Also, at Mway speeds the car seems to be very unsettled, and essentially wiggling in straight line... Not losing grip but more flexing of the tyre... Not good... Actually best way to describe is like driving a Citreon with the suspension set to high level... What sharpness the S3 had before has gone completley and dare I say it my old A3 handled better...

I have left them on for 500miles now and been careful not to push them too much after reading you need to run them in... Checked the tyre pressures when I first got them and they were set to 38psi at the front and 42 at the rear, which was different to the 36 front and 35.5 I used to run on the pirrellis... Dropped this down to 36F and 36R as per the fuel cap and it has made little difference at all, slightly better... But, still the same handling problems, ... Checked tyres are all fitted in the right direction and that they seem balanced... They actually seem better balanced than my old set...

Has anyone else had this problem and what pressures does everyone else run their F1's at?

I am genuinely gutted, spent £400 on a set of rubber that feels like i'm running on £20 Nankangpatang cheapo tyres... :-(

I have a set of Linglong tyres on the front of my car, they came with the car and i am not impressed with them at all, they are budget tyres after all!!!

However on my previous car, as i was selling it and needed something quick for the MOT, i got a set of the Nankang NS2's and i was pleasantly surprised, they were really quite good!!

The Michelin Pilots are good and from previous experience the BF Goodrich - G profilers were very good on my Golf.

I dont know if the pressure needs to be more on the 18s, but on my standard 17s i have the pressure at 32 all round

id you make sure you got extra load for the S3? they have stiffer side walls and are recommended for VAG cars?

id you make sure you got extra load for the S3? they have stiffer side walls and are recommended for VAG cars?

Yeah... Deffo got extra load and checked on the side of tyre and it has an XL on it...

Going to try and take tyres to 38psi both back and front and see how that goes on way home...

According to the sticky at the top of the page try 32 front 34 rear.

Cool... Will give those pressures a try... Suppose it's all trial and error to get your sweetspot

I previously ran 32F 34R with 18" OEM RSTT which I found pretty good. I now have some s4 reps with pilot sports and noticed immediatly something wasnt right, once checking I found the garage had boosted the pressure to 38 all round which was shocking handling wise...

I've since experimentd with 34F 36R for a few days and wasnt happy with that and have now reverted to 32F 34R which works well for me. Best thing to do is experiment with the pressure and see what works best for you.