S3 turbo up grade IHI advice

S3pallas

Reaction score
first add like to say hi am new here few of my mates use this site and told me i would be able to get some advie on turbo up grades am led to belive that my s3 is good for 380 bhp with out having to open her up and change the internals.. but i been a bikers for years and this turbo this is new to me... i do all my own work on my cars but lack the know of the turbos of choice.

IHI have a VF34 ball bearing turbo but would this be to aggressive i know i need to fabricate a new intercooler, down pipe and manifold to fit the turbo am already running 550cc injectors with a stage 3 revo map and all the other accesories but i am CLUELESS to what turbo would best suit am loooking for 320-350 bhp and i will be happy for now !!!! oh also im going to get a jappa sport custom map once its all done!!!:w00t:

any advice will be greatly appreciated..

cheers ian

Last edited:
Hello and welcome

Sorry to say the engine does need to be opened up as the rods and valves are the weak points and can't cope with 300bhp

The best turbo would be a GT28 or GT30 for 320-350bhp

dam more money/time all ready... do i 100% need to change internals on a 2003 2258l do you know this from experience. i dont mean this in a cheeky way its just i have been told a few things from a few tuning places and i need some 1 who aint in it for the money if you get me.... 2 places said i am ok on my year of car but but you and 1 of my close friends have me thinking other now.....

but i appreciate your rapid reply Andrew cheers

Rods are a given, valves you can get away with but and its a big but its advisable to change the valves... going big turbo mean later spool and thus narrowing the effective powerband... K04 spools up around 2.5k and starts tailing off after 5k... my GT3071r starts spooling at low 3's then is on full boost just below 4k but carries the power to the redline and beyond... S3 redline is 6.8k but my GT30 will make power beyond that once I have my large port head fitted and my current redline is 7.8k which it will easily rev too...

Anyhoo, the problem is that the valves are not strong enough for this increased rev range in fact there can drop heads on std tuned cars which will destroy the engine pretty much requiring a full rebuild.

If you want some ideas of whats involved of going big turbo, have a read of my thread (link in my sig)... been there, seen it and got the t-shirt... for advice on IHI turbo's, have a word with Bill at Badger 5 as he knows those things inside out... literally!!

<tuffty/>

dam more money/time all ready... do i 100% need to change internals on a 2003 2258l do you know this from experience. i dont mean this in a cheeky way its just i have been told a few things from a few tuning places and i need some 1 who aint in it for the money if you get me.... 2 places said i am ok on my year of car but but you and 1 of my close friends have me thinking other now.....

but i appreciate your rapid reply Andrew cheers

If you are after solid advice and someone who isn't in it for the cash then Bill is your man... www.badger5.co.uk

<tuffty/>

cheers for the advice tuffty i will get in contact with bill and ask him a few things cheers for the help once again...yeah i got the 550 injectors in now the cars off the road at the min tho and wont be back till i dicide what turbo and rods / valves i need...... i just stick to 1 wheel for now 2 i mean i never wheelie my bike LMAO!!!!

1 last thing if i chnge the rods and valves will i be looking for the same 350 or could i pinch a lil more horses and torque

cheers all Ian

1 last thing if i chnge the rods and valves will i be looking for the same 350 or could i pinch a lil more horses and torque

cheers all Ian

Depends on the turbo you use... GT30 will give you more than 350bhp and an engine built with rods and valves will broaden your choice of turbos....

<tuffty/>

thanks again for the advice people i will up loads pics and vids as i progress with my challenge cheers again