S3 trolley jack lifting

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title suggests I plan on jacking the S3 up with a trolley jack and hockey puck arrangement. I want to fit the spacers I've had sat in my house or months! I refuse to use the scissor jack after nearly losing my hand from my wrist when my M3 collapsed off one a while back. Very painful but also very lucky it wasn't worse.

Anyway, I know where to lift it from the sills but I've read that the S3 also has specific lifting points that the manual doesn't mention. I've found them under the car but I'm wondering do I have to remove the rotating caps before jacking up from that point? If so, how do I get them off? I've also read that these points are for 4 poster lifts and not to be used as a single lift point? Is this true?

If I have to use the sills hopefully the hockey puck will stop any damage to the skirts. I could maybe do with cutting a gutter in the puck to accommodate the sill a little better.

I have searched for answers before posting guys but haven't found a definitive answer yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Ideally the lifting points you refer to are for 4 point lifts but if you just need to jack up high enough to take the wheel off then they will be fine. I have installed the rubber two piece jacking point available from Audi and used that successfully ( one wheel only ).

The rotating covers just lever off with a bit of effort. I posted a thread on here a couple of years ago showing photos. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: check out this thread with my pics in post #47 :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/114676-jacking-up-a3-2.html

Last edited:
I've used the sills countless times and never had a problem, my jack does have quite a large 'saddle' so may distribute the weight better than the smaller types.

I never just leave it on the jack though, even when just changing wheels. Always use stands for peace of mind.

I've used the sills countless times and never had a problem, my jack does have quite a large 'saddle' so may distribute the weight better than the smaller types.

I never just leave it on the jack though, even when just changing wheels. Always use stands for peace of mind.

Cheers Leeds. Silly question but if you have the trolley jack on the sills, where do you position the stands? I haven't really looked under there for a decent place.

Ideally the lifting points you refer to are for 4 point lifts but if you just need to jack up high enough to take the wheel off then they will be fine. I have installed the rubber two piece jacking point available from Audi and used that successfully ( one wheel only ).

The rotating covers just lever off with a bit of effort. I posted a thread on here a couple of years ago showing photos. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: check out this thread with my pics in post #47 :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/114676-jacking-up-a3-2.html

Cheers Mike. I actually read that thread last night when I was searching. Just used the trolley jack on the sills in the end to get wheels off. I'll give them a bash next time. Spacers fitted at last. Oil change next!!

Cheers Leeds. Silly question but if you have the trolley jack on the sills, where do you position the stands? I haven't really looked under there for a decent place.

If you jack up from the front sill, you can get it high enough to lift the back wheel off the floor aswell. I then put a jack under the control arm mount and a jack on the rear sill. Then do the same for the other side is you need all four wheels off the ground. Pictures in this link may help.... Jack stand locations? - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

If you are just putting on spacers, just do one side at a time.

All you need is trolley jack with soft pad and a piece of wood placed were the wee arrow/ident is on the sill, per pic.
Used this loads of time on the MK5 Golf and now my A3.

GTI jacking fBlkPlacement

holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Is there a centre front and centre rear jacking point on these? I had them on my Type R but wasn't sure if the S3 had them or not.