1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 transmission whine on overrun...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JohnyD, Jul 16, 2012.

1. JohnyD

JohnyD New Member

[Jul 16, 2012]
    Hi Guys,

I can hear a faint whining noise from my car, mainly on overrun but a little bit when accelerating as well. I read a couple of things on here suggesting it might be gearbox bearings but one person reported that it stopped whining when in neutral. Mine whines all the time even in neutral, does this sound like the same problem? Time for a gearbox recon?

Thanks,

John.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

[Jul 16, 2012]
    Really hard to say without listening to it!

Mine makes a little bit of noise, not unpleasant, and most boxes do as they are complex items with a certain amount of noise inherent.

If you think it's really loud, you cold try changing the oil, which might help and certainly won't hurt.

Otherwise, remember its a 12 year old car, and a certain amount of noise will be apparent that isn't on younger or lower mileage examples. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.
  4. JohnyD

JohnyD New Member

[Jul 17, 2012]
    Hmm yeah I gues it is very subjective as to how loud is too loud... Most of my previous cars have been around the same kind of age and I never noticed anything like this before, but then I never had a six speed 4wd car before!