S3 Tow Strap Advice

daz-20vt

Reaction score
hi guys
i fitted a fmic to my s3 over the weekend which the pipework covers the tow eye
seeing its a track car it needs to have a tow eye fitted while i drive.
so where have you fitted tours guys!!??
thanks, daz

There are a couple of options, depending on how much the pipe work obscures the tow eye thread.

My pipework just about squishes up so I can fit mine, have you looked or assumed it won't fit?

Have the s3s got screw in tow eyes? My a3 has fixed ones. We were contemplating where to put our tow straps too.

I agree with what Kev is saying Westy, the metal plate needs to be bolted in the same direction of travel as you'll be towed, or you'll be loading the bolt head in tension, and it'll just bend or snap off.

I drilled and bolted mine through the crashbar and it's longitudinal brace, and it's worked fine the few times it's been towed:

ba06bae2.jpg

Reactions: Jay A3
Wow, ancient post there J-Rod!

mines still installed that way, and been towed on it several times.

I know Daz has done away with the crash bar and it's supports though, so not sure it's an option for him.

I'd still advise strongly against mounting them in such a way that the bolt is pulled in bending rather than sheer when pulled though. So bolting a fabric strap onto the existing towing eye location isn't a decent option IMO.

yep lost the crash bar.
it defo dont fit now and tbh i thought that the strap would fit in the old hole!!!
not sure what to do now!!!

Drill slit in the bumper in line with the crash bar mount so the strap sits straight, finish it off with some £3 trim off eBay and bolt it through that way.

It might look terrible though.

You're missing the point J-rod.

Daz doesn't have the crash bar or supports, and can't use the slam panel mounting bolts because they're poxy little M8's in the wrong orientation.

He doesn't have the round bits the bar bolts to?

Sucks to be him.

wouldnt work any how jardy boy. i dont think they would be man enough.
if i got a tow strap and bolted it to the existing tow eye would that work?
i could use the old eye as a bolt just cut it down
as long as i can find a tow strap with a big enough hole

if i got a tow strap and bolted it to the existing tow eye would that work?

I'd still advise strongly against mounting them in such a way that the bolt is pulled in bending rather than sheer when pulled though. So bolting a fabric strap onto the existing towing eye location isn't a decent option IMO.

Jardos idea works. It's mean refitting one of the crash bar supports. Not a huge problem so long as you've not binned them yet!

Jardos idea works. It's mean refitting one of the crash bar supports. Not a huge problem so long as you've not binned them yet!

ahh fair enough sorry jardo
but yeh 100% binned it mate hahahaha
oh well!! im thinking a bracket to bolt to the tow eye then bolt a tow strap to that???
very open to ideas now

Just make sure if you hit anything you do it head on so you can be pulled out backwards. It'll be fine.

why didnt i think of this!!!
you've been invaluable as always!!!