1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 top speed limited?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Irish, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Irish

Irish Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Now before anyone asks, yes this really was a private road.

But, on Saturday I was very lucky to be given the chance of seeing just how much the S3 had.

According to the car's digital speedo I reached 160 mph before I just decided enough was enough. The revs were above 6,000 rpm in 6th but there was without a doubt still a small bit more left but I felt scared enough.

I thought the car was limited to 155 (or maybe the speedo is out?)

All the same, it was an experience!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Private road long enough to get to 160 and stop....in Ireland!! Are you sure it wasn't in Kmh?
  4. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Looking at the gear ratios for quattro's, 2WD and DSG; 6000rpm is between 147mph to 156mph (I don't have S3 ratios). So if you were above 6000rpm it's possible to be faster than 155mph but not by much.
  5. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    No maybe about it, I've yet to see a speedo that was accurate, they all over-read to some degree in my experience.

If you want an accurate reading, you can get your real speed of the RNS-E if you have it or else use a stopwatch and the km markers at the side of the road and work it out :)
  6. Irish

Irish Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Nah, actually, maybe it was kmh. Come on now will ya.

And unless you know every square inch of tarmac in this country then stop assuming.

I was wondering would the Sat Nav sort it but with the CD based version, probably not :-(
  7. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Gear ratios:

Drive / transmission
    Drive type quattro permanent four-wheel drive with electronically controlled
    multi-plate clutch, electronic differential lock EDL
    Clutch Hydraulically operated single-plate dry clutch with asbestos-free and lead-free linings
    Gearbox type 6-speed manual gearbox, synchromesh on all gears
    Gear ratio in 1st gear / 2nd gear 3.36 / 2.09
    Gear ratio in 3rd gear / 4th gear 1.47 / 1.09
    Gear ratio in 5th gear / 6th gear 1.10 / 0.91
    Gear ratio in reverse gear 3.99
    Final drive ratio in 1st - 4th gear / 5th, 6th and reverse gear 4.24 / 3.27

I will try to post the technical doc I have tonight or tomorrow.

http://www.al-b.co.uk/S3-8P/S3-8P.html

AL
  8. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Should have also said:

1) didn't know the car had a digital speedo, tell me more
    2) Don't people do 160 down country lanes in Ireland!!

AL
  9. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 22, 2007]
    All current A3s with DIS have a digital speedo as part of the DIS.
  10. Vertigo1

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Regards the digital speedo, this is a DIS function that was added in the second half of 2006 but it only shows the same speed as the analog dial so if that's out so will the digital one be.

For those with RNS-E, you need to go into the engineering menu which you do by pressing the nav button, then holding the top left soft button for 5-10 seconds then holding the top right soft button until the engineering menu appears. Now scroll down to the GPS option (can't remember the exact name) then within this menu select the single button for more info (again can't remember the name) and it'll give you various info including your current speed according to the GPS satellites, which will be pretty accurate.

My last car's speedo overread by about 10% whilst the current one only appears to be 2-3mph out up to 100mph, not been any faster yet.
  11. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

12. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    Iv'e checked mine against GPS and it is only 1mph out ie 1mph higher than i'm actually doing so Irish this should answer your question!
  13. Ed

Ed Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    lol, 100mph? I've done more than that in my 1.6 8L!...on private roads of course *cough*...*snigger*

Seriously though, my speedo is out by a few MPH even at 70mph. Get/borrow a GPS reciever and found out what speed you are really doing.
    Its the only accurate way of finding out what speed you are doing.
  14. MarcQuinlivan

15. Ed

Ed Member

[Jan 22, 2007]
    I know, i was quoting tibbs who said 'are you sure it wasn't 160km/h' which is 100mph, which is why i thought its silly, as 160km/h isnt that much for my car's top speed, let alone a 8P S3
  16. MarcQuinlivan

17. A3_3.2_S-Line

A3_3.2_S-Line Member

[Jan 22, 2007]

Nice tip, going to try that one out!
  18. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    I have tried calculating the top speed via a couple of the on-line Top Speed Calculators.

However I'm not sure what the rev limit is. Anyone know for sure. Assuming 6800 rpm, the theoretical top speed is 170.55mph. Obviously the top speed will go up if the rev limit is higher.

AL
  19. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    How long does it take to get to it's top speed ?
    Much take an age.

I'e yet to come across any car I feel safe in at ultra high speed.
    Much rather do 160mph on a bike than in a car,any day of the week.

Probably because bikes get there very quickly,whereas anything but a supercar needs a hell of a lot of room to get there.

I can get my bike up to 160mph on the sort of straight my car struggles to get to 100mph on,for example.

It'll stop quicker too !
  20. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Bowfer,

No idea how long it would take to reach that speed, the calculator wasn't that advanced. But it would take time, like you say.

I've found with my current S3, 120 was easy to get to. Getting to 140 isn't too bad but as you reach 140 you know its reaching a kind of invisible limit, as it takes some effort to reach it. 150, not done it in my 8L S3. I think it would take too long to get there from 140.

8L S3 feels very comfortable at 120-140 - like it was built for it. But its more suitable to smooth autobahns, at 140, than our motorways.

It must be one hell of a rush on a bike though at 100-160.

AL
  21. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    It is,but it's not scary (IMO)
    I admit to being absolutely bloody terrified at 130mph in cars though.
    Out of all the cars I've been in at that sorts of speeds,and there have been several,I've yet to come across one that didn't feel a bit 'floaty' and vague and gave the definite impression of being a lot of metal going at a helluva speed.
    I think the most I've been to in my car is around 120mph,but I sure as hell didn't like it.
    You don't get that sort of feeling on a bike,coz they can lose speed as quickly as they can gain it.
    A bike racer took a bog standard 600cc bike from 0-60 and back to 0 again in under 6 seconds recently !
    I doubt there's many cars under £200K that could do that,is there ?
  22. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Iv'e done a calibrated 159mph in a car on a runway and that was scary so god knows what it would be like on a bike! Suppose its what you are used too though...

Just would keep thinking what would happen if I fell from a bike at that speed....
  23. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    It isn't the speed I'm doubting at all, no doubt the S3 is well capable, it's the existence of a private road that long in Ireland to enable you to get up to 160mph and stop
  24. tibbs

tibbs Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    just as a matter of interest approx how long a distance did it take Irish?
  25. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    As long as you don't hit anything and you're wearing the right gear,not much actually !
    Honest,I could show you a video of a racer falling off at over 200mph (as recorded by his telemetry) and getting up after.

If you hit anything you're screwed,but I would imagine that would apply to a car as well !

:-{
  26. Evotek

Evotek Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    According to a test here in Sweden they topped out at 270KM/H with the new S3.
  27. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 23, 2007]
    I don't think there is car on the planet that could do that mate..... short of a F1 car!
    Veyron is a sniff under 6 seconds to 100, never mind getting back to zero with 2 tonne behind it!!!

Got to admit to going on the back of my cousins sports bike and hanging on for life as he nailed it down a dual carriageway.... savage acceleration!!!
    Though got to admit to feeling very vulnerable.... not so much with the ability of the rider, it's more other road users. I used to ahve to commute out of London on the A4/M4 which is bumper to bumper traffic in rush hour, and saw so many motorists just pull out in front of bikes.... granter bikes shouldn't be going down the middle of 2 lanes, but what's the point of having a bike in London if you can't gain some advantage......

Ranting a little now..... but it really gets me just how bad some drivers are over here. Driven in mainland europe a few times now and it always suprises me just how disciplined car drivers are over there...... makes you wonder where the UK goes wrong!!!

Sorry, going off topic!!!
  28. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    I think that's down to a greater police presence over there,pure and simple.
    I've driven in France,Italy and Spain and,as you say,the standard of driving is much better coz every other car seems to be a cop.
    So if you drive like a twat,there's every chance of you being pulled and slapped with an on the spot fine.

Oh,the cops carry guns too....so you don't mess with them !
  29. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 24, 2007]
    I was in Denmark last year and saw 1 police car in 10 days.... motorways we're a steady cruise with most cars travelling at 85-90mph, but no-one sitting in the fast lane, everyone pulled back over.... and if you signalled to move back in to the fast lane you we're always given room to pull out..... it was really refreshing!

FYI - the roads around Eboltoft out there are really good, quite, sweeping country roads with camber.... a right laugh!
  30. Vertigo1

[Jan 24, 2007]
    He didn't say 0-100-0, he said 0-60-0. Any supercar capable of doing 0-60 in under 4s stands a fighting chance of getting back to zero in under 6. Veyron would do it easily.
  31. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 24, 2007]
    oooops! My mistake!