S3 Thought's....

Manics

Reaction score
I've had my S3 now for a few month's and I'm very, very pleased with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I thought I'd share some of my thought's seeing as I have a bottle of white on the go and the bird's out in town;

WHINGES
When it's raining and the car's sat, when I open the door I get a load of water come down onto the seat! Annoying seeing as you're sposed to keep those Recaro's bone dry!
Talking of those Recaro's they're pretty stiff to move aren't they, if you're letting someone into the back...

Tinted rear mirror is a great idea, but you can't tell if it's a Jam Sandwich tailing you at night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I seem to be getting some deposit's on the rear of the car which I have to assume are coming from the exhaust...probably normal but I've not had it on any other car. Kind of like soot...not a lot, but it's there.

Between 1-3 thousand the car hardly move's. From the light's you have to give some rev's and slip the clutch a little....maybe I just need to learn how to drive my S3 properly. I'm not mechanic by any stretch but a friend mentioned turbo lag??

Has anyone ever set off the (standard) alarm....Hmmm scary

Cracked my windscreen...I heard the smallest DINK doing about 90 on the M6, saw a crack and the thing's growing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif...and idea's how much this is going to cost me???

PRAISE
The S3 look's like a weapon. When I was thinking about buying one someone posted here that sometime's you give the car a glance and it look's OK, other time's you catch an angle where it look's sleek, or low fat and mean, or plush and expensive. Sometime's it's like owning 3 different car's!

You can't argue with an Audi interior....

I'm still "finding" thing's on my S3. The other night I got into my car and my mate asked "where's that light coming from then"? That was the first time I noticed the light's under the door's to illuminate the pavement for you when you get in. Gotta love Audi attention to detail.

The car's nowhere near as bad on fuel as I thought it might be, especially on the motorway...I'm in a fortunate (sales) postion where my employer is silly enough to pay me to sit in my S3 most of the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, like I said, I'm well pleased with my S3 and it's great to read your post's regarding them..thank's for all the info!

See ya,

Windscreen should be about £50 if your insurance covers glass (and most do). It doesn't normally affect your no claims but they do prefer it if they try and repair it first (needs to be small and they inject hot resin into it ot stop it spreading). Phone them up and ask them is th best bet.

But don't use RAC Autowindscreens as the screen will have the wrong shadebar and bear an RAC logo in the right hand corner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I would make sure that the company provided an Audi OEM windscreen, not the aftermarket ones.

Toby, i get the water coming in the window and also the soot but i still love my baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

....I was suspecting that aftermarket screen's would be sub standard. No way up for an RAC logo splodged on the S3 anyway!
£250 sound's cheap from the dealer....my last car was an A4 on the company.
Had to get the windscreen done after only 6k mile's (sod's law). Can't remember who did it but they charged £600.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:

WHINGES

Talking of those Recaro's they're pretty stiff to move aren't they, if you're letting someone into the back...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you mentioned this, I though there was something wrong with mine, its definately a two handed job. You cant just flick the lever and get them to move, you have to give the seat a shove.

[ QUOTE ]
deposit's on the rear of the car

[/ QUOTE ]

This is down to the aerodynamics of the car. If you sit behind an S3 on the move, especially if the car and the weather is cold, watch the exhaust gasses. They swirl up around the rear of the car.
Its a real pisser especially if youve just washed it then go for a blast out, and the roads are even slightly damp.

[ QUOTE ]
Between 1-3 thousand the car hardly move's.

[/ QUOTE ]

This caught me out a few times when I first bought mine. Especially when pulling out of roundabouts sharpish in front of trucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
If in doubt give it loads of revs and hold on tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever set off the (standard) alarm....Hmmm scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by this you mean that its sh*te then I totally agree. You wouldnt hear it if the theif diconnected it, wired it up to a battery and slipped it under youre pillow whilst you were sleeping, before making off with youre pride and joy.
Thankfully the garage alarm and my little mate with four legs and big teeth make up for Audi's under achievment.

[ QUOTE ]
The S3 look's like a weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree with you more mate.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still "finding" thing's on my S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
I had mine about 6 months before I found the little sun blind above the rear view mirror. ( Have you spotted that yet.)

I've had mine exactly a year today and still love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Got to agree with those points, I thought it was just me who had these issues.

One thing that does vex me is the space saver wheel you get, I appreciate the value of having it and all the tools that go with it, but it does annoy me when I have to use it and then poodle at 50mph with caravans and lorries overtaking me.

Yeah those Recaros are stiff I have greased the tracks but that didn't help much. However it is amusing to see someone else move the seat and don't realise the pitfall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif.

The rear of the car does seem huge and collects all sorts it amazes me what it collects after a little run. And as Paul says it is a pisser when you've just cleaned it and there is all that sediment on the rear.

1-3k, jes that is scary been there, done that go the pants to prove it. A very frightening postion to be in defo, has caught me out a few times, cured it my being gentler on the pedals, as I used to just slam 'em around.

That alarm is very scary it frightened the sh!t out of me...not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Why is it like that it amazes me, looking to get it tracked is the best bet but yeah that alarm is terrible awful especially for a 25K+ car. I've heard Micras with better alarms than that.

That sun blind is a beaut, didn't have a clue about it, saw it in another Audi and had a look and low an behold there it was.

Like the hidden cubby hole in the glove box. But I do love the whole ergonomics of the interior, how it is all laid out, the buttons well positioned, like the window switches and the mirrors, a gem to use. I heard that 4 blind scientists were stuck inside one and told to work out what each does and change what needed to be done, that way everything is positioned how you want with your eyes on the road, brilliant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif.

On my second and buying it.

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever set off the (standard) alarm....Hmmm scary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thankfully the garage alarm and my little mate with four legs and big teeth make up for Audi's under achievment.

[ QUOTE ]
The S3 look's like a weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree with you more mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

he he me 2 this is what looks after my S3

[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:
I'm in a fortunate (sales) postion where my employer is silly enough to pay me to sit in my S3 most of the day :grin

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2 m8 great isnt it !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good post btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Got to agree with most of what has been said,
definately avoid RAC windscreens, muppetts fitted the wrong screen to mine, as David R says - the shade bar is all wrong.
It also turns out that there is some sort of amplifier in the boot - not speaker related but aerial related, it is inside the boot lid pretty much where the 4 linked rings are on the out side, but inside. There is a wire from this that is soldered to a tag on the rear windscreen...... or atleast there was. It seems I have been fitted with a pre facelift glass. Have been back to show them that it is wrong and they agreed and are ordering another (apparently, that was 3 weeks ago!).

Jester - we have to make do with a space saver because we can't accomodate a wheel well big enough for a full size one because of the Quattro system. We should count ourselves lucky, in an R32 you don't get a spare, just a can of tyre weld!

As for the aerodynamics - bit of a pain that even a small jouney in the damp leaves you with a dirty rear again! much like this - not mine but one day I'll venture through the alps :-

Sun blind above the mirror - Fan-******-tastic

Hadn't seen that either and got my car in March /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

....no I hadn't found the sun blind!
I'm off to look under the passenger seat for a time tunnel to World Cup 1966......

Sun blind above the mirror was also on the MK4 Golf 1.8T I had.

The S3 isn't the only car that suffers from a dirty rear end you will find most cars do now adays with the shape of them for aerodynamics

[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:
I'm off to look under the passenger seat for a time tunnel to World Cup 1966......

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you English people ever give up about 1966? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you English people ever give up about 1966? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We may do in 2006, fingers crossed, hoping praying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nobby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3 ToBY said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We may do in 2006, fingers crossed, hoping praying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No no no - the Scots will lift the World Cup in 2006! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I crack myself up sometimes!

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:

No no no - the Scots will lift the World Cup in 2006! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Scots will "lift" anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif