1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 tail pipe fell off :(

<tuffty/> Oct 13, 2008

1. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Started getting a slight rattling noise from my exhaust a week or so ago and now I have noticed that one of the chrome tail pipes on my std S3 exhaust has fallen off!!!

Can these be replaced and is it normal for these to drop off? They only look like they are tack welded in 2 places to hold them on :(

<tuffty/>

2. Vag_Geek

Vag_Geek New Member

I wouldn't bother, if its rusted through it will only be a quick fix.
    Get a custome exhaust place to put 2 new tailpipes on or use it as an excuse to get a new stainless cat back!!!
    Result!!!

Regards
    Geek.

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

cheers bloke, figured that would be the case... would love an SS system but with the exhaust being ok and the wifes Freelander being buggered its not really an option at the mo... I will look into chrome trims or something :)

<tuffty/>

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Just search on ebay mate they are dime a dozen tbh, measure existing & you'll find similar or just replace both to match.

5. HTC

HTC Active Member

Audi exhausts are usually pretty good and last for years. The silencer itself should be okay. I agree the welds they use for the tips are bad. I know of a couple of S3s where the tips have started rattling. Yours is the first that I've heard falling off though.

If you don't want to replace the system, you could also find a decent place to cut the current tips off and weld on (properly) some new tips of your choice.

6. <tuffty/>

Problem is, this one has fallen off in transit.... no idea where it is!! I think I will have to take off the remaining one and try and find some aftermarket tail pipes that are similar and don't look too tacky :(

<tuffty/>

7. HTC

HTC Active Member

That's what I meant. Junk the current ones and replace with another set. Quite a few custom exhaust places about these days.

Or ebay as mentioned.

8. <tuffty/>

Cheers mate :)

TBH, they needed some work to be cleaned anyway... used autosol and wire wool but the previous owner had left them to get real bad so this could well be a blessing providing I can find some that don't make it look like a roaduser special or a vauxhall calibra :)

<tuffty/>

9. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

why not look on fleabay for someone whos changed their exhaust and purchase a genuine used 1......cheap enough when ive seen them