1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Suspension noise

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bdavbdav, Sep 10, 2011.

1. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

[Sep 10, 2011]
    Hey,

Just picked up an S3 with about 600 miles on it a couple of weeks ago - 2 tiny things I've picked up on that worry me slightly - over speed bumps etc theres a noise i can hear off the front suspension - almost like theres something a bit bigger than a leaf stuck in it brushing up against rough bodywork inside the wheel well.

Also, when turning either way, I can feel the slightest vibration through the footrest - nothing when going straight, and like I say it is only just perceivable.

Should I be worried about either of these?

Cheers,

Ben
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

[Sep 10, 2011]
    Like a "squish" noise going over ramps - this is normal.

Don't know what the second issue could be - get under the car and check for wear but if it has warrenty then get it into Audi
  4. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Sep 10, 2011]
    Check your tyres, sounds like one could be a bit out of shape. I had that vibration when not straight after i hit a pot hole and when i jacked the car up and span the wheels i had bent the reinforcing wire in the tyre. Check the pressures too
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Sep 10, 2011]
    I dont know how old your car is ben, but worn top mounts on the front suspension legs can make those noises...
  6. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

[Sep 10, 2011]
    Brand new effectively - Its very subtle though - I can only hear it with windows down and radio off!
  7. bagey

bagey aud you do !

[Sep 11, 2011]
    is it just one side ? if so try changing wheels round as im having the same kind of problem and it seems to be an alloy/ tyre issue as the noise has switched sides now
  8. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Sep 11, 2011]
    The brushing noise when going over bumps I don't think is "normal".
    I know exactly the noise you are talking about... sort of a sandpaper scrape noise?

My first A3 did it, but my second one didn't.

I don't know what the cause was though because I sold the car, but it never got any worse, just stayed the same.

Sorry, not very helpful, but just to let you know it's not a feature of all 8Ps.
  9. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

[Sep 16, 2011]
    Yeah that sounds like it - it's not a nasty noise as such, just seems like it probably shouldn't be there.

I've tried bouncing on both sides at the front and can't recreate it when static - is there anything which could possibly rub on the wheels to check?