1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Suspension noise

bdavbdav Sep 10, 2011

1. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

Hey,

Just picked up an S3 with about 600 miles on it a couple of weeks ago - 2 tiny things I've picked up on that worry me slightly - over speed bumps etc theres a noise i can hear off the front suspension - almost like theres something a bit bigger than a leaf stuck in it brushing up against rough bodywork inside the wheel well.

Also, when turning either way, I can feel the slightest vibration through the footrest - nothing when going straight, and like I say it is only just perceivable.

Should I be worried about either of these?

Cheers,

Ben

2. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

Like a "squish" noise going over ramps - this is normal.

Don't know what the second issue could be - get under the car and check for wear but if it has warrenty then get it into Audi

3. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Check your tyres, sounds like one could be a bit out of shape. I had that vibration when not straight after i hit a pot hole and when i jacked the car up and span the wheels i had bent the reinforcing wire in the tyre. Check the pressures too

4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

I dont know how old your car is ben, but worn top mounts on the front suspension legs can make those noises...

5. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

Brand new effectively - Its very subtle though - I can only hear it with windows down and radio off!

6. bagey

bagey aud you do !

is it just one side ? if so try changing wheels round as im having the same kind of problem and it seems to be an alloy/ tyre issue as the noise has switched sides now

7. Ads

Ads License to drive

The brushing noise when going over bumps I don't think is "normal".
    I know exactly the noise you are talking about... sort of a sandpaper scrape noise?

My first A3 did it, but my second one didn't.

I don't know what the cause was though because I sold the car, but it never got any worse, just stayed the same.

Sorry, not very helpful, but just to let you know it's not a feature of all 8Ps.

8. bdavbdav

bdavbdav Member

Yeah that sounds like it - it's not a nasty noise as such, just seems like it probably shouldn't be there.

I've tried bouncing on both sides at the front and can't recreate it when static - is there anything which could possibly rub on the wheels to check?