1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - Suspension Mods (before & after..)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by roysterdsb, Jan 30, 2013.

1. roysterdsb

roysterdsb Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    Got my 2007 S3 (stage 2+) in at Autohaus just now in Edinburgh, and having a fair amount of suspension work carried out.

At the moment, I've been fairly underwhelmed by the handling of the car - don't get me wrong it's a really good car, it just needs some fettling to (hopefully) make it a great car for me.

It should be ready to pick up on Friday & then I can see just how much of a difference the suspension work has made. I'm not going the traditional route of slapping on a set of coilovers 1st, i'm going for the basics and building it up from there. The following is going on the car :

+ THS Upgraded Lower, Upper Engine and Transmission Mounts
    + Vibratechnics DogBone Bush
    + 8 sets of Powerflex bushes - which covers full front and rear suspension
    + H&R Front (24mm) and Rear (26mm) Anti-Roll Bars
    + Superpro Front Camber Adjustable Ball Joints
    + Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
    + Whiteline Steering Rack Mount
    + Whiteline Front & Rear Adjustable Drop Links
    + Whiteline Bumpsteer Correction Kit
    + 4 wheel alignment (which will definitely be needed after all of the above!)

It's a fair amount of work & expense, but i'm really hoping it introduces a lot more feel to the way car drives. If it does feel like a good investment after driving it, then it's on to decent Coilovers (probably B16s), adjustable top mounts, Quaife ATB Differential & Gen 2 Haldex upgrade to take things to the next level on the handling front.

Be good to hear experiences of anyone else that's had extensive suspension work on their S3 too.

Thanks for all the input on a fair few of the options i've elected to go with above (the H&R front / rear ARB ratio is still niggling me a bit, but i'll soon find out if i made the right choice!)

Quite excited about this (more excited than I was going from stock to stage 2+) & looking forward to getting a chance to drive it this weekend & I'll also be back to give my 'after' verdict.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 15, 2014]

3. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Jan 30, 2013]
    From stock,the S3 under steers heavily,and the suspension is pretty soft and prone to body roll.

I started by changing the ARBs on mine,followed by kW v3 coil overs and the Haldex controller.

That lot removed much of the understeer and was later followed by Superpro fast road bushes and the TCA and anti lift kit with a good result in just tightening it all up a bit.

Next is adjustable topmounts and alterations to the springs and dampers.

Also had the Vibratechnics/VWRacing mounts.
  4. Nathan_jones2002

Nathan_jones2002 V8 - only sound a man needs

[Jan 30, 2013]
    Sorry to jack this thread but I've noticed the understeer in the s3 and what would you say the first thing would be to do to get rid of the understeer.

I am lowering the front soon on eibachs and spacing but what should I look at next to sort out the understeer and will the springs help.
  5. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

6. A3SBQ

A3SBQ A3 SportBack 2TFSI quattro DSG

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Looking forward to hear the verdict.
  7. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Is your car the 56 plate black 3 dr S3 sitting at the end of the road. I take my dog for a walk up and over the old coalmines every morning and have seen your sitting there for a few days. I work 3 days a week just round the corner.
  8. roysterdsb

roysterdsb Member

[Jan 31, 2013]
    I think the biggest difference is likely to be the ARB set up in terms of how it behaves when pushed, taking the slack out of everything/reducing wasteful momentum should just make the feel more direct.

I am nervous about the ARB ratio & really hope i've not gone down the wrong route (but H&R are rather good at what they do...lol).

It is a 56 plate (Jan 07 build), it sits at the end of my driveway (my wife's Tiguan is normally parked next to it) - which can be seen from the road (opposite a Tesco Metro)

I had no idea there used to be coalmines there though, assuming we are talking about the same place..lol

Only been in the area a couple of years, but really like it.