s3 sub in boot - possible upgrade AndyMac?

dunk

Reaction score
i know andy does a complete sub replacement but is there any virtue in keeping the box and amp but just changin the driver to the 61/2" jl driver used in the anymac sub?

Hi Dunk.
No, I've tried this with the non Bose & Bose subs, and the problem with both OEM subs is not only the driver but the amp and the enclosure.
The enclosure is plastic so won't handle any sort of real bass, even when wrapped in Dynamat. The amp in non Bose is 50w peak, so no where near enough power to drive a heavy duty JL unit, the Bose is 2 x 50w into 2 ohms, and I've tried this with a dual voice coil JL 8" sub, but again it just wasn't anywhere near loud enough.
Unfortunatley there doesn't seem to be any short cuts on this. As you can see from the pic below this is the mighty amp in the non Bose sub, which also drives the rear speakers

i need the standard head - i have the satnav plus.

i tend to listen with rear bias, and the standard rears were quiet, weak and lacking bass.

if i have good fronts then i might increase the fade a bit towards the front

i replaced the front with some sony 13cm components and they were awful - far worse than the audi stuff - no bass at all and very harsh trebble - that will teach me to buy cheap sh*t wont it...

so, back to possibly new fronts and maybe an andymac sub - the fronts i've quoted earlier are at the more expensive end of the market, but have a very good bass output - rated at 55hz -3db, and although sensitiviy isnt great i tend to have the fronts quieter anyway so that shouldnt matter too much.

OK if thats what you want then defo worth getting an amp to drive the rear & the sub. If you get a four channel amp you can bridge two channels into the sub to get some decent power to drive the JL sub.

Not really the best solution as the fronts are far more important than the rears for overall sound quality and staging but if its bass you want then the set-up above will give it to you.

I find it hard to believe that you found any components worse than the standard Audi speakers they are truely [censored], maybe they were FUBAR or perhaps the headunit amp wasn't capable of driving them.

no honestly - my local ice place said dont bother spending more than £50 - i wish i hadnt listened to them - the sony cones are a lightweight rigid material and have a very poor bass response where as the paper cone stuff in the audi has a much lower resonant frequency and can do the bass.

the infinity kappa 13cm components seem to be good - i think i'll just go for it and then fade back to the front - at this price (£120) they cant be worse than the audi stuff

it only takes about 1/2 hour to change both front speakers so its not a major task - certainly not worth paying the ice company to do.

Slap a bit of dynamat inside the doors it will work wonders. BTW if you heat the backing with a hair dryer it sticks better. My car resonated like a church bell without dynamat.

I have the bose setup and recently replaced the rear 2 speakers. You would not believe how small they are 2" !!!!!!! in a 6" hole!!. I will take some pics soon. Anyway I bought some 5.75" Kickers to go in the back. I had to run new wires to the head unit as the bose setup removes the base to this area of the car.
Sounds much better now.

I will now turn my attention to the sub area.

Mike