S3 Strut Brace

audi18tdan

Reaction score
got an S3 strut brace for my A3 1.8t and it doesn't sit flush because of clearance issues with the bonnet lifter location on the passenger side.
Also mine doesn't have pre-drilled holes.

I'm gonna have to grind the end down so it doesn't sit on the strut surround maybe so it doesn't sit against bonnet lifter.

So just for curiosity does anyone have any pics of their S3 engine bay?

Look in my build thread mate, loads in there... linky in my sig :)

<tuffty/>

Cheers for that but could only find one pic with the brace on and it would seem as though the S3's have post mounts for the brace to sit over where bolts go on and there seems to be more room around the bonnet lifter area.

Hmmm so why is mine akward!!

Also what do people think of drilling struts and bolting down strut brace???
Anyone done this?

Look in my build thread mate, loads in there... linky in my sig :)

<tuffty/>

The S3 has studs but its still awkward to fit in, you have to hook it under the bonnet strut bracket then shuffle it in the other side. Its not a drop on fit.

Pretty sure there is no difference under the bonnet other than the studs between an A3 and an S3.

<tuffty/>

Yeah i like the idea of studs rather than any flex going through bolts.
A3 (non quattros) have no studs or holes.

Would you recommend drilling and using nut and bolt to mount a strut brace?

Also would it make much difference on top of being lowered and ARBS??

Really against the idea now - hmmm waste of money but i guess i can re-sell

The S3 has studs but its still awkward to fit in, you have to hook it under the bonnet strut bracket then shuffle it in the other side. Its not a drop on fit.

Pretty sure there is no difference under the bonnet other than the studs between an A3 and an S3.

<tuffty/>

...oh and bolting it in shouldn't be a problem. Need to check clearance around the top mount (rubber bit) from underneath and to see if you can bolt it up without the need to remove the front struts.

<tuffty/>

No harm at all in drilling down and mounting with nylock nuts and bolts IMHO. The shell should be the same at the mounting location, must just need some shuffling as Tuffty said

hmmm i spose it's just the lazy side of my brain saying no.
I will have another try tonight to see if i can get it to sit properly as the hole outlines are there for easy reference.

Will see if i can check from underneath.

btw are S3's not and bolted or just screwed into the studs?

cheers

No harm at all in drilling down and mounting with nylock nuts and bolts IMHO. The shell should be the same at the mounting location, must just need some shuffling as Tuffty said

Early APY S3's like mine didn't come with strut braces and no studs on the top of the strut turets neither. I got a OEM Strut Brace and had it fitted at the time of getting my suspension fitted, used galvanised M10 bolts IIRC.

I didn't know that! Did you notice any difference without the strut brace Jo?

I really couldn't say, as I had my Bilsteins and Eibachs fitted at the same time, and I was also suppose to have R32 ARBs also, but some mis communication meant I had to retain my standard ARBs, which is the same setup I still have to this day. I don't think it made much difference to be fair, the S3 is a very well built machine, but Audi thinks it needed one, so I put one on.... it was £45 I think(might have been £75?, I don't remember), including the bolts from a group buy on UKMKIVs.

ah ha good to hear of someone doing the same.
Did it sit flush first time or did it need jiggling about?

Also did they have to remove the suspension struts to get bolt it on, just checking??

I will get some decent nuts and bolts for it and try fitting it on Friday.

Early APY S3's like mine didn't come with strut braces and no studs on the top of the strut turets neither. I got a OEM Strut Brace and had it fitted at the time of getting my suspension fitted, used galvanised M10 bolts IIRC.

When I did this to my Leon Tdi I used captive nuts which made life easier and used the same when I fitted the lower strut brace as well.

Will see if I can find the part no.s and put them up.

ah ha good to hear of someone doing the same.
Did it sit flush first time or did it need jiggling about?

Also did they have to remove the suspension struts to get bolt it on, just checking??

I will get some decent nuts and bolts for it and try fitting it on Friday.

I can't say anything about the fitting, as I paid someone to do it along with the suspension, and yes, the struts need to come out, as they drilled through the strut tops for the bolts to go through. When I purchased the strut brace, the seller told me I was suppose to feed the nuts from the bottom and bolt it down from the top, but the fitter managed to do it the other way round so I have a flush finish, and he painted the bolts black for me also, so it looks factory.

You mean these:
http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/captive_nuts.htm

Yeah great idea or you could try and hold the the nut from bottom with spanner and rachet up the bolt from the top.

When I did this to my Leon Tdi I used captive nuts which made life easier and used the same when I fitted the lower strut brace as well.

Will see if I can find the part no.s and put them up.

great so you do need to take the struts down, i guess it's only one bolt so not too lengthy a job.

I spose having the nut at the top would prevent the thread from getting covered in crap but either way it works.

cheers

I can't say anything about the fitting, as I paid someone to do it along with the suspension, and yes, the struts need to come out, as they drilled through the strut tops for the bolts to go through. When I purchased the strut brace, the seller told me I was suppose to feed the nuts from the bottom and bolt it down from the top, but the fitter managed to do it the other way round so I have a flush finish, and he painted the bolts black for me also, so it looks factory.

great so you do need to take the struts down, i guess it's only one bolt so not too lengthy a job.

I spose having the nut at the top would prevent the thread from getting covered in crap but either way it works.

cheers

Ideally, you want to line up and bolt the strut brace down with the car on the ground, so it's a natural fit, or the car might sit higher if you drill the holes with the car off the ground.

Tom i am starting to agree with you mate.
i keep thinking in the back of my mind not to do it especially if it doesn't make much difference with lowered and an arb at front.

hmmm it may end up sitting garage at this rate or going on hear or ebay for sale.

Might actually just take the time off to work on the offroader instead!!!:)

Personally,....I wouldnt bother with it.