S3 struggle for traction

antonws3

Reaction score
I have recently had the haldex system changed and refurbished rear diff which fixed the car spinning like a fwd. however I currently have these potenza tyres on with a fair amount of tread on them still but it's still struggling for traction and can spin. Is there a good chance it's the tyres? Looking at putting some PS4's on tomorrow to try sort the issue

Attachments

• IMG_7473.JPG
    IMG_7473.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
When you say 'Haldex system' what exactly did you change? Have you done a scan to see if there are any issues being thrown up?

The diff, haldex unit itself and oil was all replaced under warranty. I haven't yet taken it somewhere to be scanned. I'm hoping it's just the tyres but they don't seem to be in too bad condition

Get it scanned as there is a pump on the haldex system which could have become faulty and there is also a filter (which Audi may claim doesn't exist) that could potentially be clogged up which causes the pump to fail.
I'd scan it before getting new tyres.

It will most likely be the pump. I had to replace mine as it hd burnt out due to Audi stating the pump is lifelong and not deemed serviceable. Before i changed the pump my rear wheels stopped engaging and my traction control was always kicking in. Your tyres will not be causing this. Get the car scanned.

Reactions: antonws3
Btw PS4's are sooo much better than the Potenza S001's. Just did the rears on mine since the fronts had loads of tread (rears were 3-3.5mm). Can feel the grip instantly from the rear even in normal driving. Can't wait to do the fronts. Worthwhile upgrade on its own I say.

Reactions: HHS3, S., S3Alex and 1 other person
Btw PS4's are sooo much better than the Potenza S001's. Just did the rears on mine since the fronts had loads of tread (rears were 3-3.5mm). Can feel the grip instantly from the rear even in normal driving. Can't wait to do the fronts. Worthwhile upgrade on its own I say.

Totally agree....the only good thing about the Bridgestones is the wear rate,which given the grip available,is also a bad thing as the things just don't die...

Don't suppose anyone has got the part numbers for Haldex oil and filter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: S. and Benn84
I've contacted "Auto Fault Finder" when I had a Quattro pump problem. (The filter had blocked causing the pump to run dry and burn out). They offered great advice over the phone and supplied me genuine oil, Filter and the pump.
Highly recommend them

Reactions: S. and mechanic69
Fixed mine today
Used the gen4 guide in the tt forum by Matt spot on
Only difference was I undid the controller before disconnecting the leads, they are snigger to get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S.
Fixed mine today
Used the gen4 guide in the tt forum by Matt spot on
Only difference was I undid the controller before disconnecting the leads, they are snigger to get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you got a link to the guide?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk