S3 still misfiring...!

Tekin

Reaction score
Running out of options here...problem is haunting me just wont go away!!! Just feel like taking her into AMD but i seriously cant afford it right now.:banghead:

Started her up an hour ago and the car was idling like crazy sounded like it was about to stall waited for a few secs switched her off then on again she was idling perfectly, as i drove off and reached 3/4th gears @ 40/50 mph the car started stuttering/misfiring like crazy again even at the traffic lights ...now the car is sitting on my drive idling fine...I'm confused

Pretty sure its not the coil packs as i tested a new on in all holes yesterday. Spent £50 on plugs from AMD (second set in the last two days), also tried disconnecting the MAF but problem is still there.

What else could possibly cause this? fuel injectors?

Any ideas?

Tekin

sounds like coilpacks to me. (although I've never had any go on me) Sounds like you need to get it on Vag-com to find out what the issue is

Aky...are you saying that coils packs randomly stop working, sometimes they do sometimes they dont sort of thing?I checked them the other day they seemed fine.

Im going to check all the spark plugs again this morning if they are all fine then i think it might be the coil packs... might just change all 4.

Do normal mechanics have vag coms or something similar?

It may be that you've got 2 or more coil packs failing which is why swapping just the one out hasn't helped.

Most garages worth visiting will have an OBDII diags machine which will be able to read your fault codes.

themanthatcan...you may be right but it still doesn't answer why the car sometimes runs perfect and other times it stutters and misfires...

just checked the spark plugs 1st one was fine, 2nd one had black dust on it which i wiped off, 3rd one had oil/petrol which i also cleaned and the 4th one was fine.

Is this natural?

That could be a sign that 3rd and maybe 2nd coilpacks are u/s. It really would be worth getting vagcom on your car to see whats going on. Where abouts in the country are you mate, maybe someone on here with vagcom is local to you and can run a fault check for you?

Got a feeling it might be coil packs 2 and 3 as the petrol ain't igniting properly therefor the dust and liquid.

I am based in North London if anyone can help.

Changed all 4 coil packs with new ones from adui car seems to be running fine for now... the idling ain't as perfect as before, sounds a bit lumpy but thank god its not misfiring.

If it's still running lumpy then it might be worth having a look at the plugs.

I had a crap plug, so I just changed them all, if not you've spent a tenner and remove something else from your list of possibilities, and you've got new lugs to boot.

been through a set of cheap £20 bosch super 4 the metal sorted of bended like rubber under the s3's pressure. At the moment my car is running the hgk spark plugs from audi main dealer £50 they set me back. I checked them today they seem fine...

fingers crossed your problems are all fixed!

I would agree with wingnut and change all the plugs and make sure they are properly gapped.

I have also heard that the heat on the top of the engine can damage the low voltage cables going to the coil packs. I changed my coil packs the other day and it does get very hot in that area.