S3 Stereo help please!!

ash_s3

Reaction score
Just come to whip the radio out of the S3 and it wont budge, think ive broken the clips that hold it in!!

Anyone got a pic of the release mechanism underneath the radio so i can see if i can figure out how to get the ****** out without nackerin it up!!

Any ideas??

Ive got most of the dash out, glovebox, bit under steering wheel, around gear stick and handbrake etc, just cant get the middle bit out. do i HAVE to take the stereo out first or can i take the whole thing out in one go??

Cheers

Ash

They are hard to take out even with the correct keys IMO. Dont think you will have broken the clips as they are metal. I cut down a bank card before and put it in the 2 slots in the front. you can feel when you have released the clips as it feels springy!! You need to tug very hard to get the radio out as it tight! I thought i was going to pull the front off mine lol. HTH

It is possible that you have bent the clips out of shape, or the tiny little rivet has broken off and the clip has moved.
I managed to make a mess of my top clips on my Symphony head unit, thankfully i was still able to use the keys on the bottom ones, but had to pop off a bit of trim in the top and lever it out with a small screwdirver.
Have you got a double or single din radio?

single DIN mate

anyone got an old stereo kicking about that they could take a pic of for me please?

cheers

Mine was in credibly stiff to remove, took ages, try putting a small screw driver through each key pulling them <out> and then towards you.

This just gives you a little more purchase on the unit, and less cutting on the fingers.

D :icon_thumright:

First take the glovebox out, so you can push the HU from behind. The keys are designed to latch on to the spring clips so you can pull, but pulling on them is usually what causes the clips to either bend out of shape or break off and get wedged.
The HU looks like this:
AudiKeysmontage.jpg

Thanks everyone, il give it another go.
Cheers for the pics andy, can see what i need to do now!