S3 Steering Rack

H

HansfishS3

Hi all, so having changed all shocks, springs, topmounts and drop links I still seem to be getting a knock whilst going over small bumps at low/moderate speed.

Reading what others have said it's all pointing towards a new steering rack. There's no noise at all when turning the wheel stationary or moving, is there any harm in just leaving it? Will it suddenly fail or get progressively worse?

I went the same route top mounts, polybushed the wishbones etc. Mine rattled for well over 12 months. It's the "slide bearing" that rattles. No harm in leaving.......if you can put up with noise. Mine even passed the MOT with it. However, having had it done it drives so much nicer now.

Try rocking your steering left to right like 1/8 and it will knock it it's gone

No knocks when moving the steering left to right at all, out of interest how much will it cost to get it replaced approx?

Looking at ECP prices ..... there goes my clutch fund :(

I found mine by jacking off side front putting on full lock left then pushing the tie bar up and down (not in and out) if you feel "play" then it's the rack. Recon about £400 New £500. I went for new + 2 hours labour at a great independent I use. Just had the clutch done as well.