S3 Stage 2 & misfire problems

gynads

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had stage one on for a while, with evoms , then decided to buy a Milltek DP and cat , with a custom connector pipe (same diameter as OE), and use the standard pre silencer and back box, and go for stage 2, after having the DP and cat fitted, i went to my tuner to have the stage 2. There is the dreaded misfire at 6 ish k.think it was cylinder number 3. They said it will be cured by fitting the rest of the milltek, (cat back) so i ordered this, along with the Autotech HPFP. Its being fitted on the 27th.

My question is, will this cure the misfire? or will it remain unless i have the exhaust valves changed?

Has anyone had to pay to have this done? As mine is an 07 its now just out of warranty

Just out of interest, what map have you got? :)

Sounds like you've had a fair bit done, i know on the 8L the coilpacks tend to fail under load after a remap, could this be the case with your 8P? Or could it be a simple case of changing/gapping the plugs?

Just out of interest, what map have you got? :)

Sounds like you've had a fair bit done, i know on the 8L the coilpacks tend to fail under load after a remap, could this be the case with your 8P? Or could it be a simple case of changing/gapping the plugs?

It's a known issue with valve float on MY 07 engines. Im just hoping as with DC's the fitting of the rest of the system cures it

EDIT: its REVO software btw sandip

Last edited:
Maybe worth running another diagnostics logged run with Revo as I had the same problem a few weeks back. They dropped one setting by one and that cured it. Sorry - i dont remember which setting, but looking at the logs, you could see that the engine was mis firing as it was correcting itslef due to one setting be too high. I also changed all the spark plugs when i had stage 2 software.

i think that having milltek cat-back fitted won't change anything. i've had milltek tbe before remap, then i went straight stage 2 and after few months it started to misfire. same cylinder no3. mine went after fitting colder spark plugs. since then i didn't have any problems. i think it's a cheaper solution than fitting milltek cat-back.

Replacing the exhaust valve springs will solve your problem. IF your car is indeed within the batch with those 'faulty' springs. I had mine fixed as a warranty FOC service. I've heard stories of dealers in the UK not accepting the bulletin warrencox had posted here.

A downpipe and a free-flowing exhaust will relieve some back pressure, so it might help mitigate the problem, but it's not guarrantied. Milder settings also help in reducing the effect.

It may worth making the effort to have this done FOC. If there is a 'campain' for your car from audi and the dealer did nothing, you'll have a valid argument. HTH

thanks for your advice guys, i have the bulletin number so ill ring the dealer. What plugs should i be fitting ?

I would also go with spark plugs on this,didnt the S3's have a batch or a different make they started putting in for a while and people were noticing a misfire on a standard engine never mind one running a map

maybe. I remember that after a point the OE sparks went cooler by a level, but I can't remember any details

I hope so, i just hope its not valve float. i can imagine a big bill to change the valves. I'll order some IK24's and try those before the stage 2+

were you in the same situation as me DC? did you have the DP fitted first, had the problem so fitted the rest of the system?

no, my misfire lead to new coils, ecu. then l put colder plugs in. it was still there. then tbe went on and nada misfire since.

well the rest of the TBE is going on, along with some IK24's, (same temp as BCP8's) & HPFP, gonna try get hold of an RS4 fuel return valve/regulator. Fingers crossed it will be ok!

Replacing the exhaust valve springs will solve your problem

I had the exact same problem as your are describing. Fitted milltek along with other stage 2+ gubbins and it was still happening. Took it too Audi and had the valve springs changed and problem was sorted.

Thats good and bad news! if it is definately the springs, im not sure if Audi will change mine as im out of warranty? could cost an arm and a leg. I take it yours was covered under warranty warning?

Yeah its under warranty but i think you could have it done free as its TSB.

Put a pcv delete kit on and sorted my revo settings out, I bought a switch and am running 9 6 6 and has sorted itself, looks like it was just rich, hope this helps

Put a pcv delete kit on and sorted my revo settings out, I bought a switch and am running 9 6 6 and has sorted itself, looks like it was just rich, hope this helps

Amd have had my car two days & cannot find the fault with the misfire.. i was tempted to tell them to complete my TBE but now im wondering whether they have though about this?