s3 short shifter

Thanks snowy:sunglasses:

Just checked my S3(2002) with TPS and it has part number 8N0711051B fitted, the Japanese spec S3 cars had part number 1J0711051M.

1J0711051M is available for £31.84 (TPS)

Reactions: Roadtrain
not at all

only thing you need to remove is airbox and maybe the battery for extra space

Instructions here - explains EVERYTHING http://www.dieselgeek.com/6_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-sigma6.htm
Thank you as always! I didn't realized "short shifter" is this one, I was thinking about "gear selector/gearstick" (I understand correct translation reading yours last posts)!

Does a shorter gear selector need disassemble gearbox to fit?

Did you mount this short shifter on your S3? Does it need new gearbox cables aswell (old ones may has got some slack maybe, causing my 3rd crunching changing gear fast)? Did you change gearstick with a shorter then original one aswell? If yes what type did you choose (I don't understand if exist many different type or one only)?

Thank you.

I might have a go at fitting the R32 gear selector Part number:1J0 711 051 M

Just checked the parts list and this part number is listed for the S3, found this photo so i will have a look and see what i have fitted to my car.

If i can get it to feel like my old MK2 RS2000 i would be happy!

Why did would you get R32 type? Is it the shortest?

Thank you.

None the gearbox end selector fork changes will give you this, you need a B&M type replacement gearstick
What's the best choice as short shifter and gearstick on S3 8L in your opinion?

Thank you.

Last edited:
For fans of gearchanges more reminiscent of older sports cars:

Ebay clone B&M gerstick with standard selector fork

+ OEM cable bushings replaced with the solid type

= Tight + heavy + accurate + **** to fitting ;)

For fans of gearchanges more reminiscent of older sports cars:

Ebay clone B&M gerstick with standard selector fork

+ OEM cable bushings replaced with the solid type

= Tight + heavy + accurate + **** to fitting ;)
Thank you for your reply, but I tried translate "clone B&M gerstick", and OEM "cable bushings" replaced with the "solid type" without understanding (I'm not very good in english sorry). Can you post any links? Thank you again.

Yes

imho There are better gear knobs than the one supplied with the genuine B&M

There are lots of choice for threaded knobs

Extension bars too get the exact fit you want

@snowy

I restart fixing my S3 during these days, so I'm choosing the pieces: I must solve 2nd-->3rd gear crunch problem (changinh gear fast). If I wait about 1/2 secs before put 3rd gear it doesn't crunch (on 4000/4500 RPM circa I tried), so I hope it isn't the 3rd's synchronizer. Do you think pieces you linked me times ago in this topic can solve that problem? Thank you.

PS: sorry my english.

i allready have a forge short shifter and have recently just found a forge part that can shorten the shift from side to side ! has anyone got one of these? is it worth it and can i use alongside the one i have??????? thanx aaron

why dont you make it by yourself - will be the cheapest way to have short shifter side to side

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

... this is the point of short shifter - you have to "stretch" the hole ...
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

...place it in an inner position ...
25.jpg

26.jpg

... all other components buy new ( especially if the car has traveled many miles ) ...
27.jpg

28.jpg

... forge has exactly the same thing ...
forge-01.jpg

forge-02.jpg

All new oem parts by local audi dealer was 50,23 € = 43,06 GBP, still much cheaper than forge right :yes:

Reactions: Roadtrain, IPG and superkarl
@snowy

I restart fixing my S3 during these days, so I'm choosing the pieces: I must solve 2nd-->3rd gear crunch problem (changinh gear fast). If I wait about 1/2 secs before put 3rd gear it doesn't crunch (on 4000/4500 RPM circa I tried), so I hope it isn't the 3rd's synchronizer. Do you think pieces you linked me times ago in this topic can solve that problem? Thank you.

PS: sorry my english.

What you're describing sounds selector forks/syncro/clutch related

Tightening the cables to the selector mechanism won't remove any crunching going on inside the gearbox I'm afraid

If anything it'll make it more noticable

why dont you make it by yourself - will be the cheapest way to have short shifter side to side

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

... this is the point of short shifter - you have to "stretch" the hole ...
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

...place it in an inner position ...
25.jpg

26.jpg

... all other components buy new ( especially if the car has traveled many miles ) ...
27.jpg

28.jpg

... forge has exactly the same thing ...
forge-01.jpg

forge-02.jpg

All new oem parts by local audi dealer was 50,23 € = 43,06 GBP, still much cheaper than forge right :yes:
I would try, thank you very much.

PS:

About before and after modded there is a very useful video of my friend Ian:

What you're describing sounds selector forks/syncro/clutch related

Tightening the cables to the selector mechanism won't remove any crunching going on inside the gearbox I'm afraid

If anything it'll make it more noticable
Thak's to you too. Many people sayed about gearbox support problem (must use Powerflex, yellow or red I don't understand yet), in addition should be engine supports and what you wrote before. I hope undesttand what do soon so I'll do it and then I'll report results. Thank you again.

Last edited: