1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 - Short journeys?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by gazzer_s3, Mar 19, 2013.

1. gazzer_s3

gazzer_s3 Member

Hi All, hopefully buying my first S3 very soon! I will mainly be doing short journeys to & from work which is roughly 7 miles away. Will this cause any problems apart from fuel economy being poorer than on run? Would it be wise to change oil on a more regular basis? I do, do some motorway miles every other week but its only 20 mile round trip. Any advice greatfully received.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. SparkyMcA

SparkyMcA Member

am only a mile to work n back mate never had any problems with ma focus st, lookin to get s3 soon aswell, what spec u going for

4. Nathan_jones2002

Nathan_jones2002 V8 - only sound a man needs

I do short journeys and until the car warms up you will get low high teens 20,s... Once warm though I see 27-28mpg on a mixture of roads. Low 30s on a good motorway Eco run.

#3 Nathan_jones2002, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. Fanboy

Fanboy An Audi Fanboy

That amazing, on my S Line 1.8 TFSI, 160 BHP I only get 22 MPG, 25 -27 if I'm lucky but never get around that figure, pretty much 22 - 24 MPG all the time, I drive 13.5 miles to work in morning and same way back home, not sure if that figure is standard for S Lines or NOT or probably something wrong with my car which I might not be aware of...

That's why I was thinking selling my S Line and getting S3 and fuel wise wouldn't affect me at all...
    What do you guys rekon, anything could be wrong or...

1stoner1 likes this.
  6. DJ-S3

DJ-S3 Active Member

I only do short trips in my s3 (company car for work) and I haven't had any problems. Just remember not to give it the beans until its warmed up properly. A part from that I can't see why there'd be any problems other than bad fuel economy. I only do around 6000miles a year and the oil gets changed once a year. Along with the camfollower

7. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

short journeys are ok just make sure you change oil every 5k and everything will be ok. This will prevent from any water residuals in the oil and make everything run smoothly especially if u thinking of mapping your car in the future.

8. gazzer_s3

gazzer_s3 Member

Hi what is the Camfollower & how much does that cost? Thanks

9. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral
    Team Ibis Audi S3

Cam follower sits between the camshaft and the HPFP and transmits drive to the pump.

It's prone to wear and if it fails can cause a lot of costly damage

It costs about £50 and is easy to check and replace.

10. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

Its like 23quid + fitting mate so worth doing especially when car has over 30-40k. From what i recall they change it at 38k service

11. Boydie

Boydie Boycie
    VCDS Map User

I am 8 miles away from work and with mixed driving throughout the weekend I am achieving 300-330miles per tank.

I change the cam follower every oil service.

12. _G_

_G_ Active Member

7 miles should be sufficient for it to hit 90 on the temp... and just give it a 30 sec before turning off... idling is not recommended for our engines... so if its not warmed up properly Id rather you drive around than sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the temp to climb up. Enjoy!

K.A likes this.