1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Serviced!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by RizS3, Jul 26, 2003.

1. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 26, 2003]
    I had my S3 serviced today, its first AVS one.
    The bill came to £381 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif which apparently included a discount off the heldex oil change? now i didnt expect it to be that much but heres a breakdown of what was invoiced!
    Let me know if i have been robbed?

LABOUR:
    1st AVS Service £153.89 plus VAT
    Brake fluid change £48.96 plus VAT
    Heldex oil changed £34.97 plus VAT

PARTS:
    Seal £0.12 plus VAT
    Filter £4.00 plus VAT
    Filter El? £11.22 plus VAT
    Mobil 1 Oil x5 £49.98 plus VAT
    Brakefluid x2 £10.20 plus VAT
    Screenwash £2.02 plus VAT
    H/D Oil £8.55 plus VAT
    Plug £0.60 plus VAT

Total incl VAT £381.30

Note that now they have used Mobil 1 oil and not Castrol SLX which i was normally putting in, also the service indicator is around 9800miles to next service? does this mean that they have put me on a fixed service? In my service book it says its on AVS though? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The xenon lights have been checked and also the engine undertray has been exchanged for a new one as RAC broke the other one!

So whats you view`s people? been reamed or not?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Highlander

Highlander New Member

[Jul 26, 2003]
    Seems a bit steep to me. I had my first service carried out at the start of the year, here's the breakdown of the bill -

LABOUR:
    AVS service - £88 + VAT
    Haldex oil change - £27 + VAT

PARTS:
    Filter - £6.50 + VAT
    Element - £11.19 + VAT
    Castrol SLX - £52 + VAT
    Haldex oil - £8.55 + VAT
    Sump plug washer - 60p + VAT
    Screenwash - Free

I didn't get the brake fluid changed.

My service indicator also showed 9800 miles to the next service, it was showing 18500 miles within a few days. I think it needs a few days to recalibrate itself after a service.

4. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 26, 2003]
    Mmmmm does anybody know if the service labour charges are fixed or go per hour?
  5. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jul 26, 2003]
    Bloody hell Riz, that was steep! Did you get a quote up front?

We got the S3 done a few months ago for the first AVS and it was £220-250 including Haldex IIRC. Thats very expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
  6. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 27, 2003]
    Yes the service guy said around £250 for service and £90 for haldex oil change! I will have to do something about this...... but what, ive paid up now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  7. A3Lee

A3Lee New Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    similar thing with my Tdi quattro.

second service came up at 38k.

pollen filter
    oil n filter
    screen wash
    fuel filter
    air filter

250 quid, had to go back as they had run out of haldex fluid....honestly.

so went back and coughed another 86 quid.

44 quid labour.

i feel like servicing it myself...hell i used to work with cars and warrenty is up at 60k.

then the deler will tell me value will drop...well at 35 k a year its going to drop throug the floor anyway.

next service is cambelt at just under 60k already quoted 450 quid or there abouts !!!!!!!!!

dealer history eh hmmmmmm

Lee
  8. squigly

squigly Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    sorry, not to sound like a dumb canadian, but what's AVS?

back home when purchasing an audi, everything was covered, all you had do to was drive it there, grab a newspaper and a drink, sit and relax and an hour later it was done. sometimes 90minutes...never had to pay for anything.
  9. MOSSY

MOSSY Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    RIZ

What did ya pay for the engine undertray as mine is missing.

Cheers
  10. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    Sorry Mossy but the undertray was damaged by RAC so they paid the dealer.... but heres what the invoice price was! (it aint cheap) :-

Part No: 8L982523513 UNDER TRAY
    163.00 PLUS 17.5% VAT = £191.52

Labour:
    34.97 PLUS 17.5% VAT = £41.08

Invoice Total:
    £232.61
  11. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 29, 2003]
    £41 to fit an undertray!!
    Classic Audi, that's up there with £32 to change a dashlight bulb.
    Is the undertray different on an S3 compared to a 1.8T? Like is it made out of platinum?
    I replaced the tray on wifeys car and it was £18
  12. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    I`m not 100% sure if its different to the A3 version, probably is.
  13. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Jul 29, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    squigly said:
    sorry, not to sound like a dumb canadian, but what's AVS?

back home when purchasing an audi, everything was covered, all you had do to was drive it there, grab a newspaper and a drink, sit and relax and an hour later it was done. sometimes 90minutes...never had to pay for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
    AVS is Audi's variable servicing. The service intervals are dependent on the use of the car. They average 17-20k bewteen servicing and use a special fully synthetic oil.

It is meant to be a cheaper option, but they still turn out expensive due to Audi's excessive labour costs!

There seems to be huge variation in costs between dealers, not just regional i.e. north/south but also within similar areas.

My advice would be to do as I did and phone many different dealers for quotes. Then haggle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif All the dealers that I called offered different costs, including calling the same dealer twice, so there is no consistency.
  14. MOSSY

MOSSY Member

[Jul 29, 2003]

Oh well I will just make myself a nice sump/gearbox guard out of sheet steel, it will protect the car much better than a 5hitty plastic guard and hopefuly it wont cost a penny.
  15. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    MOSSY said:

Oh well I will just make myself a nice sump/gearbox guard out of sheet steel, it will protect the car much better than a 5hitty plastic guard and hopefuly it wont cost a penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

MOSSY, im looking into this right now, let me know if u get urs done. I'd be interested in seeing it
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  16. MOSSY

MOSSY Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    Mo

I will be doing this myself, and from a quick glance I can't see it being a problem, although I have not had chance to get the car on my ramps at work yet.

Have you also took off and landed hard on the sump/gearbox? A3LEE did and it resulted in him having to fork out 1400 quid. I have caught mine once on a back road and I don't fancy doing it again.

What have you found out if anything ?
  17. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    Thread hijack here... sorry Riz.

Ive been looking at waht material to use. Sheet steel, multi-layered aluminium, carbon fibre, kevlar etc etc.
    Also as to what the ideal distance it should be from the sump, not too low and not too near. Bearingin mind my car is very low i dont want to have a sump guard even lower causing it to grind on every bump.
    Making it is easy enough but like i said earlier its the type of material which is important.

How far have u got with it ??
  18. MOSSY

MOSSY Member

[Jul 30, 2003]

MO

I would keep the guard at the same level as the current one, that way you should not have to many problems.

As for material I was thinking of using sheet steel, the rally guys use 5mm but I can't see us needing that thickness.

19. LYRAC

LYRAC Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    The best thing to use for cheapness is Dural aluminium, That is what most Rally Cars use except for those with lots and lots of money and they would have Kevlar.
    Try to keep it within the same parameters as a standard one so that the ride height is not diminished. with regards to thickness it depends on the quality of the Alloy "think protection"!! If necessary put a rubber pad between the sump and the and the Sump guard, sticking it onto the sumpguard hits will prevent and nasty stones from getting on to it and the resting there and the next BIG bump you go over you’ve got a hole in the sump and no oil!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
    If you do make a sump guard please may I have one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
    I had contacted Forge Motorsport but their S3 rally car is a special and it is MID ENGINED!
    Just one small point to all, if you put a sump guard on and it is steel or even dural then it is well worth remembering that it can effect the airflow around the engine so it may and I say MAY get a little hotter so you have been warned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
  20. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thread hijack here... sorry Riz.

[/ QUOTE ] no probs.... have you guys tried VAG-Parts too see how much they cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif
  21. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 30, 2003]
    Cheers Riz, VAG dont sell after market bits like this and i personally dont know of any company that has ever made one for the S3.

Anyway ive started a new thread on this topic.

22. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

[Aug 1, 2003]
    My 1st AVS is due in 3 hundred miles so just rang around for a quote for the service.

Price is for service + heldex oil change.

Lomond Audi Glasgow £345

Stirling Audi £250

Ayr Audi £180 < he said that was with heldex oil change but i think he might have made a mistake.

Definatly worth ringing around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif