S3 Service Advice Please

A4CAB

Reaction score
My Audi S3 is just over 3 years old and due its 3rd service in about 400 miles, it will have covered about 30,500 miles at that time.

I am currently on the long life servicing but it really doesnt seem to be working for me:-

1st longlife service carried out at 10,500 Dec 07

2nd longlife service + brake fluid change & pollen filter 21,800, Nov 08

I noticed that until 40,000 miles of 4 years nothing additional needs doing this time.

Before calling I spotted this offer on the Audi Uk website, it states A3 and up to and including 2litre doesnt mention S cars but guess it wouldnt ?

http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-with-audi/affordable-servicing.html

The dealer recommends I move to the fixed servicing as I am not really benefiting from the long life servicing and I can have my next service done for £99 as per this offer !!

Not many things in life are a bargain but this seems to be the case, am I missing something or is this all my car needs ? I Certainly dont need the major service at £249 as it does spark plugs & air filter, it must do some other bits for an additional £150.

That's a good find. I too only seem to manage about 10K between variable services and I don't drive around like a hooligan, far from it. My old 8L S3 used to go 18K on variable.

So do you have to switch to fixed now or wait till the next (3rd) service?

I do recall reading somewhere that Audi didn't want to loose business to independents (when cars are over three years old and out of warranty) so they have adjusted the prices, but only on cars over 3 years old.

Let me know if you find out any more info.

I'll cross post this on vagoc if you don't mind.
http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=2876

Last edited:
Go for the interim and ask for the vehicle to be set to fixed, then at 40k have the major as plugs and air will be due, dont forget the pollen filter and haldex service req'd as per mileage will be at extra cost

That's a good find. I too only seem to manage about 10K between variable services and I don't drive around like a hooligan, far from it. My old 8L S3 used to go 18K on variable.

So do you have to switch to fixed now or wait till the next (3rd) service?

I do recall reading somewhere that Audi didn't want to loose business to independents (when cars are over three years old and out of warranty) so they have adjusted the prices, but only on cars over 3 years old.

Let me know if you find out any more info.

I'll cross post this on vagoc if you don't mind.
http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=2876

Hi John

As my car is on almost exactly 30,000 miles I can swicth at the 3rd service that is being done next Thursday for £99 :)

Th person who booked it also confirmed they want to keep the business when cars get past 3 years which makes sense and suits me fine. If it ends up costing £200 for the service and front brake pads then I think I have had a bargain.

P

Last edited:
4rd?? Just to clarify...
So your car is due it's 3rd longlife service but as it's over 3 years old you can have it done for £99 and switch to fixed for the next one?

4rd?? Just to clarify...
So your car is due it's 3rd longlife service but as it's over 3 years old you can have it done for £99 and switch to fixed for the next one?

Typo edited in above post.

It will be its 3rd service next week at just over 30,000 miles , first 2 having been longlife. Will be swicthed at the service to fixed intervals, as no additonal work is rquired unitl 40,0000 miles they will do it for £99.

BTW - I went for the Audi extended warranty in the end.

P

Thanks for clearing that up. What was the cost for the warranty, 1 year or 2?

Thanks for clearing that up. What was the cost for the warranty, 1 year or 2?

I looked at warrantydirect and Audi but they have changed the Audi cover in the last 12 months now and I think it is a lot better. Its called all component cover now, it was £689 including Audi European roadside assistance.

The 1 or 2 year offers have to be taken out at the time of purchase. You have to extend the extended one each year I went for the up 15,000 miles per year the unlimited one is about £1200.

No doubt nothing will go wrong but wanted to be sure.

P

Last edited:
I was also quoted those prices. Just wanted to check though!

Car serviced today for £99. They ended up using the longlife oil too :) but switched me to fixed servicing so it tie in to the next service being just over 40,000 miles when the Haldex oil needs changing amongst other work.

They had to change all the pricing on each item on the system and it kept coming up saying "warning negative margin"

Apparently they don’t make a great deal of money out of servicing an S3 for £99 !

I'll bet they won't let me do it!! Will have to ask...

I have a question re the servicing!

I am a new owner so not sure of the best way to go about this. The car has 26600 on the clock (56 reg) and I have just been up to my local dealer to ask for servicing detail, etc etc and they have advised to have my 40k service early. The trip says that the next service is due in 3600 miles so that take it to more or less 30,000. That seems a little early to have a 40k service done.

What should I do? Should I pay the money and have the 40k done early or stand my ground and get a '£99' one done at 30k and then get the 40k done.....at 40k?!

Cheers

ive seen the damage longlife servicing can do, best to service every 10k miles like me :p

My car is on the variable service and is due an oil change, however it is also due a service in 3000 miles so seems waste, have asked for it to be put on fixed interval service as I only do low mileage so the variable is not benefitting me. Car is 2 years old and has done 14000 miles.

Car is booked in at derby Audi on the 30th as this is the most local to me, however was bought from Stafford and they have now sent a letter advising me to have the brake fluid changed and air conditioning serviced. However when I asked Derby about this they said brake fluid is not due until 3 years and servicing is discretional?Which is correct regarding brake fluid, Stafford or Derby?

Sorry if the formatting us poor, written on phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk