1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 seat airbag: tricking ECU and airbag resistance

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by VAG-Slag, May 6, 2012.

1. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Active Member

[May 6, 2012]
    Trying to get my S3 back on the road and have a MOT on Tuesday. At some point in the cars life i believe the airbag has gone off and the previous owner has just stuffed it back in and put a dab of glue on the flap with the airbag behind.

after a bit of research i found this: VWVortex.com - Airbag light...how did you trick your ECU?

so i purchased a 2.7 ohm resistor, just plugged it into the airbag connector, reset the ECU and it doesn't seem to have done the job :sob:

Does anyone know what the resistance of the airbag in the seat should be and or where i might be going wrong? I'm assuming that the brown wire is an earth, do i need to do anything with this?

Any help would be appreciated as i NEED to get her back on the road so I can start earning some money again!

thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 6, 2012]
    Thats because its 4.8 ohm 5 watt you need
  4. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Active Member

[May 6, 2012]
    b*ll*cks! . . Just went down to maplins and brought a load of resistors to test out, unfortunately at a much lower wattage :banghead: right, looks i'll be back down there tomorrow if they're open. I've also found out I need vcds to reset the airbag light anyway. Thanks for you're precise information :thumbsup:
  5. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

6. murran

murran Active Member

[May 6, 2012]
  7. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Active Member

[May 7, 2012]
    you're right, i really should and i probably will at some point. . . But for the moment I just need to get it through an MOT so I can get back to earning some money so i can pay for things like this.

Anyway, just found out having the air bag light on isn't actually an MOT fail yet!

Thanks
  8. murran

murran Active Member

[May 7, 2012]
    thats a point, vosa have extended the deadline for these new failure items. going to be some time in the summer apparently.
  9. brasiliangringo

brasiliangringo Member

[May 7, 2012]
    Not sure which part you are after if and when you decide to replace but if passenger side seat airbag then i have one that will probably fit..
  10. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Active Member

[May 7, 2012]
    Drivers side man, thanks anyway!