S3 S-tronic issue?

TurboBen

Reaction score
On my way home from work the other day, I had the DSG misbehave a little.

Slowing down gently for a sharp corner, I dropped it from 5th to 2nd, slowly, one gear at a time. Went round the corner in 2nd and when I went to accelerate again - nothing. For about 3 or 4 seconds, no power at all. Then all of a sudden it dumps the clutch in and I get an almighty jolt and the car accelerates again. It's not the first time it's happened, the first being on a roundabout with cars coming at me. At first I just assumed it was the DSG catching up, but after having the car for a while now, it didn't feel right. I was in dynamic mode, so nothing to do with the Eco coasting mode, and I didn't ask it to downshift 3 gears in one go so it had plenty of time to get the right gear.

I've had no end of problems with the car since I got it, hope I don't have to add a knackered gearbox to the list. Has anyone else experienced this? The car is going in next week for replacement of both rear shocks (car is 3 months old!) is it worth bringing it up?

This is known as the boxful of neutrals scenario.

I've had it happen twice in 18,000 miles.

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Boxful of neutrals is a good description of how it felt! At least the second time it's happened in 2000 miles, though there may have been other instances that I didn't notice or just plain forgot lol

I've now done just on 15k in my S3SB now, and mine did exactly as you described a couple of times as well in the first few thousand miles, since then it's been good as gold. On a couple of other separate occasions early on the DSG messed around a tad where if you were at a standstill and went to accelerate, it jolted forward. This seems to be caused by it not "closing down" when you last left the car and took the key out, as, if you stop the car, remove the key, re-insert it and re-start, all is good. I know now when it's messing around like this as, if at a standstill in gear I take my foot off the brake and it doesn't roll forward, it's having a hissy fit. Then again, it hasn't done that either for a few thousand miles, so I think early settling issues are now sorted.
These cars seem to do odd things from time to time more as one offs or occasionals to get you wondering - maybe the technology is too clever for itself and it's gets its bits and bytes in a twist - but unless it does it constantly I wouldn't worry too much, class it as a "feature" LOL

Reactions: veeeight
^ Yep, done the switch off, key out, back in and restart procedure at traffic lights too!!

I've had it happen once, came as a bit of a shock as was planning an overtake.

Try driving a Mitsubishi Evo X SST (which I had before my S3), which had turbo lag and a jolt from the gearbox every time you put your foot down.....the S3 is so smooth and refined in contrast, even though it "has its moments" LOL

Reactions: sjbarneS3
Should've bought a manual :whistle: ;)

Reactions: SW14NY'S
I also had this a few times in my S3, 4th to 2nd, go for a bit of power and nothing .. box catches up and off we go .. I don't think anything is wrong with your car, just a 'feature' of the S-Tronic box ..

Reactions: sjbarneS3
Be thankful that you haven't got the DQ500 DSG box as fitted to the current RS3.

Now that is a box with issues/features :p

I find rather than dropping down 3 gears slowly the box seems to respond better to 3 quick downshifts. Rather than going 4th, 3rd and then 2nd the box just seems to jump from 5th to 2nd which makes it a lot quicker.

I have had the same issue as you a few times though, mainly when i'm in 2nd, want to drop to 1st for a quick getaway the box seems to take forever to select 1st meaning I miss the gap anyway. I could use the kickdown but then I risk flying forward too quickly.

I do love DSG most of the time but there are times it annoys me

I've had the same scenario once before. Other than that it's rarely missed a beat. I'm suspecting a software bug hiding in the firmware rather than a physical fault.. Is there anyway of checking software versions other than a trip to the dealer ?

I've had this once in my 6 months ownership.

Early morning probably about 3 months ago, a little on the cold side. Drove less than half a mile to my local tesco all fine. Got back in the car and went to make a rapido getaway and nothing. Tried again about 2 seconds later and business as usual !! Never done it again.

Had it happen loads of times in mine. Happens when dropping to 2nd at roundabouts with my foot off the accelerator. Kind of used to it now so give the gearbox a second or two to sort itself out before accelerating again.

The box does seem to struggle when foot is off the accelerator; as you all are probably aware the dsg can stuggle to make a decision on whether to queue up the next gear up or the next gear down. If it makes the wrong decision the driver can receive a delay as the box has to quickly rejig its decision

I've only had my S3 for two weeks and so far very happy with the dsg gearbox... Except for the first time I passed another car on a 'b road'. When exactly parallell to the other car it was about to change gear and no power at all during one second (approximately). :-/

I really hope this is an adaption issue...

I often use the flappy paddles when slowing down so it goes in the gear I want it to and is thus in the right gear for accelerating - soon changes back to doing it itself when back on the straights and stuck in traffic again.......unless I choose to leave/pop it in manual (permanently) and have a bit of fun :)
IMO the only thing Audi got wrong on the S3 - the green economy arrow - really? On an S3? Telling you about Economy? Hahahaha

Reactions: batch and S3 Turbo
5th to 2nd is notorious, especially when turning 90° left or right turns. I've found taking foot off the acc pedal prior to down blipping makes things a little less "****". First time it happened to me I also had my mates scooby in my boot....

Well, this thread has jinxed it.

Happened to me today at a roundabout, trying to do a quick getaway from a decelaration.

Nothing. Boxful of neutrals. Then whoosh.

Reactions: Blackwhite, SW14NY'S and sjbarneS3
Well, this thread has jinxed it.

Happened to me today at a roundabout, trying to do a quick getaway from a decelaration.

Nothing. Boxful of neutrals. Then whoosh.

:notworking: :gun2:

Reactions: veeeight
This is not limited to the 6 speed wet clutch box as my 7 speed does this sometimes too.

Its only occasional but most noticeable after letting the car slow down e.g. approaching a speed hump or entering a roundabout; apply accelerator and the revs rise but nothing happens, then 'thunk' as it engages with a jolt. A couple of times after the thunk it has seemed to momentarily pull in the clutch as if anti-stall (but revs were >3k) or torque sensor unhappy and then try again. Took it to the dealer who found no fault. Took the tech out for a drive and it did it within 10 mins. Said they were going to look into it, which reminds me I need to chase them as haven't heard anything.....

Reactions: Wondering Soul