1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 s-tronic "grunt" when shifting explanation...

Ziggyma89 Jan 13, 2014

1. Ziggyma89

Ziggyma89 Member

Can anyone explain where the actual sound comes from and why it does this?

2. keyser

keyser Active Member Audi S3

My understanding is that it's a backfire caused on downshifts by engine braking.

Is it on downshifts only? (Mine's a manual s3.) If on upshifts as well, then also a backfire but probably caused by an intentionally rich mix, leaving fuel to enter the exhaust system.

Happy to be corrected obviously...

Ziggyma89 likes this.
  3. Ziggyma89

Ziggyma89 Member

From what I've seen on videos is that it happens wen up shifting. The dealer also said it makes a sound when downshifting too. Ordered the s tronic. only got to test drive the manual

4. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

Happens on upshift mostly, sweet spot is about 6250rpm. ECU throwing load of fuel in when shifting to richen up the mixture and ignite it in the exhaust. Sounds awesome.

Aran383 likes this.
  5. Ziggyma89

Ziggyma89 Member

Thanks lookin forward to it!!!

6. lotus

lotus Member

It's strange how the sound of a badly tuned engine is used to purvey power, that said I like it, though I'm getting a manual so won't have it.

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon

I have heard that the exhaust has flaps inside them which will cause the 'pops'.

8. Cumbrian_bob

Cumbrian_bob Member

I have only noticed it on the upshift, but you also get to hear it make a little burble on the efficiency mode when the power goes off when it goes into coasting downhill.

You can also amend the level of noise from the MMI, not sure which parts this turns off. I have this setting on individual mode so I can has the sporting steering and accelarion but not the louder noise.

I am guessing the attenuator (speaker) and the exhaust flaps are available on both manual and Stronic S3s, and more for normal engine sound not just the gear change sound.

r500frs likes this.
  9. Chimp

Chimp Active Member

On the test drive of a Manual I managed to get a slight pop on upshifts when I was driving "enthusiastically". On the S-tronic test drive it pops every gear change and in sport mode it poped on downshifts too. Also noticed the box auto "blip" the revs on downshift.

Ziggyma89 likes this.
  10. rams_s3

rams_s3 Active Member

I need to learn that one seen as mines manual!

11. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

I was told by the dealer, its actually an small bit of additional fuel injected specifically at that point and the sound is it being burnt off in the exhaust. I actually love the fact that Audi built it in. Fuel being wasted just to make a great noise, not very Audi!

12. Dan_G

Dan_G Active Member Team Navarra Audi S3

Doesn't do it in Eco mode I don't think.