1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 rev hang-up

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3DCT, Oct 18, 2003.

1. S3DCT

S3DCT New Member

[Oct 18, 2003]
    Problem : Accelerate briskly, change up 1st to 2nd, revs hang or increase! 2nd to 3rd revs hang or increase again, same 3rd to 4th, and this is with full lift-off the loud pedal! Makes you feel like a learner but I've been scorching around in cars and on bikes for 40 years,
    don't label me an old f*rt, look at the ages of the best sports/endurance racers (age, not size, of the b*lls counts).
    Back to the issue : the only way to stop the motor reving on as you change up is to take a full second for each gear change to allow the revs to drop a little, defeating the object of a brisk car.
    My local dealer claims 'they all do that sir to keep the turbo spinning'. Well the few I tried before buying didn't, nor did mine 'til the last service.
    When I'm a biker and I ease the throttle a bit to sync the revs on an up change I expect (and get!) the engine to respond.
    Is my S3, Jan'01, a freak? or do any of you guys also suffer this problem?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. mramage

mramage Member

[Oct 19, 2003]

Erm, that does't sound right. The revs certainly drop off on mine between changes. Get the dealer to take you out in another car or get a tech to come out with you and demonstrate the problem. Don't let them off with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a car that used to do that and it got the lambda sensor changed. Not saying it's that, but it certainly doesn't sound right.

Your car wouldn't be purple by any chance? Sure I saw a purple S3 with a similar reg the other day, meant to post on spotters forum.
  4. MarkS3

MarkS3 Member

[Oct 19, 2003]
    mine does the same but only if i change up on full throttle at about 4k revs if i take it to 5k plus it does not do it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  5. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

[Oct 19, 2003]
    There's a switch on the clutch or the accelorator pedal cant remember which one, it can stick and the revs will hold after life off. Have a search of the forum i have read about it before not sure which forum i read about it on might have been tt forum worth a look.

Good luck
  6. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Oct 19, 2003]
    My rev's hang for a bit - drive along and put your foot on the clutch and they just hover for a noticeable time before dropping.

I figured it was just a (bad) characteristic of the car!
  7. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Oct 19, 2003]
    Perhaps you guys need a throttle body re-alignment. It can be done via a VAG COM IIRC.

AL
  8. pure

pure Member

[Oct 19, 2003]
    mine doesn't do that, full throtle, press clutch and come off the gas, revs drop, change gear, gas....and away I go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  9. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

[Oct 20, 2003]
    Mine does the same as your's Audi Girl. Like you say it depends on whether the car is in drive or not, stationary out of gear its no problem , but in gear you notice the revs don't drop off as fast..

verdict : ****
  10. audi_girl

audi_girl Active Member

[Oct 20, 2003]
    Out of gear it's the same - like when changing gear :-S
  11. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

[Oct 20, 2003]
    Nah i only notice this when i'm stationary and revving the engine in frustration (due to excessive traffic in London)
  12. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 20, 2003]
    My A3 does exactly the same thing... was wondering if it was normal just the other day!

Rich
  13. domcj

domcj Member

[Dec 7, 2003]
    Has anyone who has this problem looked into it anymore or fould the fault or cure ?
  14. bjacks

bjacks Member

[Dec 10, 2003]
    MAF replacement helped, although that's not why I replaced my MAF - it was an added bonus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    At over £200 a pop, not something to be tried without proper diagnosis, or swap the sensor over with a known good one.

Cheers

Ben
  15. domcj

domcj Member

[Dec 11, 2003]
    I have benn to see a freind of mine and he is a ex Audi tech, he says that the flap in the throttle housing gets a bit of gunk around the edges and this can cause the problems so I am going to remove it when i get a chance and then he said he would set it up on vag-com for me.