S3 Remote Key Fob Replacement

ash_s3

Reaction score
When i bought my S3 a week ago, it only came with the one key!
So i need to get anouther and get them both reprogrammed so any old keys wont disarm the immobiliser.
A new key from Audi is about £150! + programming
But my mate at VW said he can programe it for a tenner for me as a foreigner
Seen some keys on ebay but how do i know which will work?
The one i have at the moment is a flip key with 2 buttons - lock and unlock
but alot of the ebay keys have 3 buttons!
help please!
thanks

Mine came with the three button keys, the third button opens the boot. I believe key programming is a dealer job, but I could be wrong.

Regards, John.

You can program the key to lock and unlock the car yourself but the transponder immobiliser is not a diy job. You definately want the missing keys excluded or someone could come calling in the middle of the night

stil havnt sorted the key problem yet!
do i have to get a key with the exact same part number or can i choose any key aslong as it is the same frequency (mhz)
im sure my s3 should have come with a 3-button fob but this one is only 2 just lock and unlock, no boot release

any help would be appreciated!
cheers
Ash:uhm:

ash_s3 said:
The one i have at the moment is a flip key with 2 buttons - lock and unlock
but alot of the ebay keys have 3 buttons!
help please!
thanks
i went to the stealers for a new key for my a3, i have the 2 button keyfob, but bizzarely, the one audi did for me was of the 3 button variety.

of course the middle button does nothing, but found it strange that the 3 button one worked.

how come the middle button does not work?
do you know the part number and frequency by anychance?
ash

ash_s3 said:
how come the middle button does not work?
when i say it doesnt work, i mean that theres nothing underneath the button when you press it, so its empty underneath.

im just getting more and more confused! think il have to go to stealers :(

ash

It's not that confusing, pre facelift cars had two buttons, post facelift had three buttons one of which unlocked the boot seperately. I would think you can probably use either key for your car as long as it can be programmed to work however the boot button won't do anything.