1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 rear differential

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by kachnak, Nov 6, 2009.

1. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

Hello, I hear some bad sound from rear side my car, but only when I start moving from 0km/h and steering wheel is fully left or right. When I start moving forward there is no bad sound. I hope that will be rear wheel bearings, but my friends said it will be differential. What do you think? I will go to my mechanic next week.

Is it possible replace audi S3 1999 210hp rear differential by audi TT 2002 225hp differential? Are they same?
    Thank you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

Should be the same diff (on all mk4 based cars), however you might want to swap your controller to the new diff assuming that's okay.

4. barters3

barters3 Member

Try changing your haldex oil and filter if you havent already. Under the same driving conditions you mentioined,i used to get a grinding noise. I changed the above and it was sorted.

5. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

Thank you. So I try to change oil and filter. Do you know what type of oil must be used there?

#4 kachnak, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. barters3

barters3 Member

It's special haldex oil, it's available from vw or audi dealers and should be about a tenner. I can't remember how much the filter is but it's not expensive. It sorted the problem I had so hopefully you'll be lucky

7. tompearson

tompearson It's all in bits

Just to let you know - I just had my oil and filter changed yesterday and it also cured this issue for me.

8. barters3

barters3 Member

glad to be of assistance! Lol.

9. s4mark

s4mark Member

i too have a vibration coming from the rear wheels when moving off from standstill on either left or right full lock. will try oil replacement and hopefully will sort the problem