1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 rear calipers

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Pontio, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Pontio

Pontio Member

Hi guys, looking for a pair of S3 rear calipers. Does any1 have any there looking to get rid of? would they look the same as my 1.8tq ones just wider?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

S3 rears are for vented disks, I would have thought they were the same on a SportQuattro?

4. Pontio

Pontio Member

no, i have solids on the rear. thats why i want the s3 ones. do you know if they look the similar?

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!

No idea bud, but I think the disk diameter is the same, so S3/TT calipers are probably just wider?

6. evotista

evotista Member

Pontio,

Heres some info for you

1.8TQs have rear calipers and associated caliper carriers with a 41mm piston diameter acting on a 239mm x 9mm thick solid disc

S3s have 38mm piston diameter rear caliper (with i presume) a different caliper carrier acting on 256 x 22mm ventilated discs

If you want to upgrade to S3 rear setup then you can just source the 38mm calipers and carriers and its a bolt on solution. However, part of me wonders whether an S3 rear caliper CARRIER would work in conjunction with the existing 41mm diameter caliper of a 1.8TQ, while using the associated 256mm ventilated discs. My rudimentary knowledge of brakes suggests that even though its only 3mm difference and the rears do 20% of the braking at best...surely its better(and cheaper) to use the larger diameter piston caliper.

Anyoneelse care to comment.

7. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!

He needs the S3 rear calipers for the ECS stage1 disks he's just bought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

8. Pontio

Pontio Member

jojo has been doing some research.lol yep i have ecs front and rear and thats why i need the other calipers.
    How do you know anyway? lol

9. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo has been doing some research.lol yep i have ecs front and rear and thats why i need the other calipers.
    How do you know anyway? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been monitoring Ebay - big brother is watching YOU! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif