S3 rad fan squeal?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
Now the cold weathers here and ive got my cc on most mornings, ive noticed my Radiator fan squeals for around 60 seconds on startup.
(the small fan - a/c i think?)

Has anyone here replaced one of these?. is it a front end off, or can you manipulate it out?

There is no fans belt, it's a drive belt, on the alternator PAS ac. stright forawrd. I think all you need is good access so remove the hose going into the charge pipe (left side of the engine), and whatever else, not a lot then a 15mm spanner I think, pull the tensioner forward and hold it with a pin or someone can hold it for you to loosen the tension. make note of how the belt is, possibly draw it if you can't remember then replace belt. job done. I would say 15min-60min depends.

Lol, did you read any further than the title?

There are two FANS located behind the radiator. The smaller of the two, which i believe to be the air-conditioning fan squeels when it gets fired up.

Cheers

Dont know if its the same but on my last car the fan started squealing and eventually seized up so needed replacement so it could be the same on yours that wasnt a vag car but tbh i cant see why else a fan would squeal.

I did mate, I thought you were refering to belt squeel!
I didn't think the fan would work on start up. unless you start your ac with the turn of your key! the second one hardly comes on with this weather.

I never use the aircon/ climate control usually.. Its only on now as i de-mist/ice my car before work.
Pretty sure with the climate control, its on permanantly to aid the condenser... But from what ive read its 2 speed.
Guessing its failing on the slower speed before it kicks into full chat.

None the less, i need a new one.

Recon its a driveway job?

I didnt read the first post properly either lol. Iv had a look in my haynes manual its not alot of use tbh and that says its just a case of a few screws and its off. The manual does not cover the s3 but i would think they are simalar if not the same so you shouldnt have to take the bumper off and it looks fairly straightforward.

I cant add much unfortunatly dude but my main fan has gone and i will be replacing it this weekend from what ive heard its an easy job, nothing drastic like the bumper off or anything if you dont do yours before then i will take some pics and post how i got it off.

Cheers

Ben

Cheers Ben, That would be awesome!.. Im not planning on doing mine soon.. going to string it out as long as possible(hopefully)

Looking at them, the big and little fan are in one frame, so would have to remove both together i think.

I had mine done on my S3 under warranty by Audi, as far as I know it is not a bumper off job. Not sure on what the cost of new fans would be and whether or not they are an S3 specific part or are shared by other VAG group models??

Chris

Lol, i am the OP.
ive mailed the seller for a better pic, as £25's a fair bit cheaper.

Lol didnt look at the poster, ive not had much luck with breakers on ebay unless you want something majour they just arnt intrested, if you do get it and its working could just do what i said above but dont hold me to it im not sure if it unbolts from the fan blade.

Mine's started to do this occasionally in the cold weather. I'm assuming it's just natural wear in the bearings of the fan. I was going to remove it and try re-lubricating them as a stop-gap measure, assuming this is the cause of the noise of course.