S3 questions New here

Darren Watkinson

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a quick question, been looking around the forums and looking for answers etc. Bought my 2008 S3 just before xmas so less than a month and have had full service done with no problems apart from a slight what I can only describe as a mechanical knock/thud every time there is a revolution of the Wheels/prop/diff/drive shaft. Had it into the garage I always use and my guy seems to think its the rear prop coupling. However Audi want to sell me the whole prop! Ouch ! good job I was sat down.
Anyway, long story short I have found said prop coupling on various sites and have seen the same info, that it will fit a 2007 S3 but not compatible to 2008 of the same model. Am I missing something ? nothing changed did it?
many thanks In advance

Daz

Pre facelift and facelift s3s are slighthly different. Could it be because one has haldex gen2 other haldex gen4.

Thanks for the reply.... i'm not sure to be honest ? Tried all different kinds of searches etc to no avail.... so I was hoping to get more info before having it all stripped down to find that everything is different to what we were planning. It's going in Tuesday so I have a bit of time to get to the bottom of what we might need. Any help or info is very much appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the below are the only differences between the Pre-Facelift and Facelift S3, therefore S.' suggestion of it being due to the different Haldex system is all that comes to mind if there is indeed a difference.

• Head Lights
  • Grill, Front Bumper, Bonnet, Wings & Slam Panel Sizs
  • Fog Surrounds
  • Tail Lights
  • Alloys
  • More Internal Aluminium Trim
  • Improved Emissions
  • Gen 4 Haldex
  • DSG (Optional)

thanks for that HHS3 trying to get as much info as poss before it goes in again on Tuesday.... mine was registered 1st March 08, was the facelift then or was it the Sept 08 ones that got that do we think?
Anyone had the same sort of noise or problems that I am having? It's under warranty but the old wear and tear get out clause is being waved around!

thanks for that HHS3 trying to get as much info as poss before it goes in again on Tuesday.... mine was registered 1st March 08, was the facelift then or was it the Sept 08 ones that got that do we think?
Anyone had the same sort of noise or problems that I am having? It's under warranty but the old wear and tear get out clause is being waved around!

I'm not 100% sure, some people say that it was introduced in September 2008 however a Top Gear article was done in April 2008 saying about the spring facelift update which supports the March 2008 window. Judging by your picture then yours is a facelift (unless a previous owner did a full front end conversion but this is rare) which would also suggest that the facelift was released in March 2008 given yours was registered then. The pre-facelift has an engine code of BHZ whereas the facelift is CDLA, both are identical and produce the same figures, however this would help determine what yours was. You can check this in the Audi logbook or the sticker in the boot of your car under the spare wheel.

I'm not that mechanically minded so can't offer any suggestions I'm afraid.

Reactions: Darren Watkinson
HHS3 thanks for that info, that sums it up the engine code is BHZ so that is pre facelift so should have the Gen II Haldex and the older style coupling for the prop shaft?

Its in the garage as we speak so I am hoping when he calls he will say its the coupling that's needed and not the full Prop (Fingers crossed!!!)

HHS3 thanks for that info, that sums it up the engine code is BHZ so that is pre facelift so should have the Gen II Haldex and the older style coupling for the prop shaft?

Its in the garage as we speak so I am hoping when he calls he will say its the coupling that's needed and not the full Prop (Fingers crossed!!!)

No worries! That's interesting to know that there was a period between March-September 2008 where the S3 had some facelift features e.g. lights, bonnet, wings & grill etc. as seen from your photo but still had the BHZ engine rather than the CDL. However, I wouldn't like to say that yours for definite would still have the Gen 2 Haldex despite being a BHZ. Just found this in an old thread I was looking at not long ago which will help you identify which Gen Haldex you have:

In your 2008 Audi S3 it can either be a Gen 2 or Gen 4. You can check this by looking at the part number engraved to the coupling, it can be seen from underneath the car.

If it says OAV 525 554 it is a Gen 2, but if it says OBR 525 554 it is a Gen 4.

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.

No worries! That's interesting to know that there was a period between March-September 2008 where the S3 had some facelift features e.g. lights, bonnet, wings & grill etc. as seen from your photo but still had the BHZ engine rather than the CDL. However, I wouldn't like to say that yours for definite would still have the Gen 2 Haldex despite being a BHZ. Just found this in an old thread I was looking at not long ago which will help you identify which Gen Haldex you have:

In your 2008 Audi S3 it can either be a Gen 2 or Gen 4. You can check this by looking at the part number engraved to the coupling, it can be seen from underneath the car.

If it says OAV 525 554 it is a Gen 2, but if it says OBR 525 554 it is a Gen 4.

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.

hi mate,

Cheers for all the info..... turns out it to be that it does have the normal front and back prop coupling..... got it back and its running on front wheel drive and the noise has gone.... parts ordered here tomorrow back in to the garage next week for it to be put back together and hopefully problem solved.

Top site this and thanks to those that helped, will let you know when its back to 4wd and no noise ;)

thanks
Daz

Reactions: S., HHS3 and S3Alex
hi mate,

Cheers for all the info..... turns out it to be that it does have the normal front and back prop coupling..... got it back and its running on front wheel drive and the noise has gone.... parts ordered here tomorrow back in to the garage next week for it to be put back together and hopefully problem solved.

Top site this and thanks to those that helped, will let you know when its back to 4wd and no noise ;)

thanks
Daz

Anytime mate, it's a great forum and others have helped me plenty of times by sharing their knowledge. Glad the issue has been identified, so fingers crossed it all gets sorted for you next week!

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
Anytime mate, it's a great forum and others have helped me plenty of times by sharing their knowledge. Glad the issue has been identified, so fingers crossed it all gets sorted for you next week!

That's another vote from me too on the forum....it's helped me a lot since I started here too.

OK, so we have had the prop put back together and back on the car with new front and rear bushes and couplings and the lovely noise has returned !! :rage::rage::rage:
So we are now on to further investigative work.... rear diff has chalk marks on it so that has already been replaced before. The noise now slightly sounds as though its more in the middle of the car than the front or rear. So poss Centre diff mount ?
Properly annoyed.
Thanks for your help here again gents.

Anyone still out there that may be able to help? I am still in the middle of the probs with no real diagnostic as to what is causing the prob, had it in to my usual garage again and the noise is getting worse.... every time the prop spins the rear diff the mechanical knock/clunk can now be heard from the outside of the car.... Still can determine if its inside the diff or its the centre mount?????