S3 problem..... please help!

happyarthur1979

Forever going forward!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a 00' S3 (facelift) with 97k on the clock. For the past few days I have had problems with it.
Car idles normally and drives ok until it comes on boost. When the turbo is supposed to come in it starts mis-firing and has zero power.
The engine management light flashes orange.
Recently had both lambda sensors replaced (audi parts)

Had it scanned with an RAC fault code reader and it came up with :-

Mis-fire detected on cylinder 4

Any idea what this could be?

Could it be spark plugs? Faulty Coil Pack? Or something else?

Can someone point me to where the coil packs are located on the S3 engine please (pics would be great)

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks, Graham.

Ok Guys I have found the coil packs.

Does anyone know which is cylinder 4? Standing in front of the car would number 1 be on the far left and number 4 on the far right?

Please help.... Cheers, Graham.

How do boss. cylinder 4 is the gear box end... to the right as you look at the engine.
Best way to find out if its a coil pack ... unplug coil 4 and fire the car up. it sould make no diffrence to how the car runs... they are about 27 pound new so it nothing major if its that.

and dont buy the cheap ones is you go to GSF get genuine vag ones GSF do them for a couple of quid less than audi but any audi vw dealer will have them in stock. the 2 on the rhs are slightly harder to do than 1 and 2 as theres a bit to remove to get to them but not a bad job

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the help. I changed all 4 as a precaution and everything is now great.
car actually feels quicker than before the coil pack went so I dont think its been running right for a while before it actually failed.

Many Thanks again.

Yeah its amazing how a change in packs & plugs works wonders, I had a knackered plug the ceramic had cracked, changed it up & was perfect.

Just changed mine as well and it does feel alot smoother, gload you got it all sorted mate.