S3 Pre-facelift headlights

Ibzzzzz

Reaction score
Has anyone got pre-facelift S3 headlamps they would like to sell to me....I have a customer that needs the projectors for his G60 RallyE....So scratches and markings on the outer case isn't a problem....preferably with bulbs and ballasts

You give me a reasonable price as I havent a clue how much they go for...

If he's just after some projectors, the S3 should be last on his list! They have terrible light output and a fuzzy cutoff. If you do a search on eBay (UK and US versions) you will find people selling just the projectors and shrouds which is cheaper and better than buying a whole headlamp assembly when most of it won't be of any use.

I'd recommend the BMW E46 projectors which are cheap and fairly common. The S2000's work well too.

Thats good advice there! I wonder if one could retro fit the projectors from another vehicle into the 8L S3??

G

You can do Mr G. It's not that difficult to do either, a lot of people have retrofitted projectors to old cars. The hardest part is taking the headlight apart without damaging it. I've always wanted to do this as the projector in the S3 is woeful, but I couldn't risk ruining both my lights.

If you have a look at the HIDPlanet forums there are plenty of people who have changed projectors and have step by step guides. Be aware though, there are some real geeks on there, I thought I was a xenon fanboy but these lot are on a different level!

Nice one golf. Always thought it was possible but had no idea of how to retro fit. Will be sure to visit the geeks and ask advice on doing it.

I'm on a mission to get some lovely lights going.

G

To be honest the LED thing has never appealed to me, we have an A5 with the DRL's but I've disabled them in the MMI menu as it just looks a bit tacky to me and seems to attract a fair bit of attention and I'm not an exhibitionist. I've seen a lot of cars with a fake LED strip and it looks
scared.gif

I'd be very interested in changing the projectors in the S3, but I never keep a car long enough to make such mods worthwhile. The M3 and 350Z have excellent lights and it's one of those I'll be getting when I get a decent insurance quote (curse my youth
1.gif
).

Golf, you are a top man! ill be looking into it....cheers

Been looking on the net for ages...Can't find anyone in the uk selling any of these projectors...can anyone help!?

I've had a look, can't seem to find any on eBay UK.

If you go on eBay.com, there are a lot for sale and I'm sure some are willing to ship to the UK. I'd recommend Acura TSX projectors, they give amazing output and have good colour and cutoff. They're also very common, and won't cost as much as a set of used S3 lights.