S3 Power

ScottyKemp

Reaction score
Calling All S3 owners Standard and Chipped, Whats the best car you have really p!ssed off in a Traffic Light GP or a full blown race ?

Not encouraging racing here just wandering what all your experiences are of racing different cars, just a little fun discussion really !

I'm still waiting to pick up my S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

The finance company say they are about 5-6 days behind with applications! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Never thought of that! Nice one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Again not an S3 but a chipped A3T and have given a good hiding to a chipped (maybe) S8 and a chipped S3, not to mention Drill on the roads, but this was not straight line racing but through the twisties.

For straight line then my best races have to be between me and Jaybe in his chipped S3, away from the lights he has it, but then at higher speeds I can leave him on acceleration, so overall it's pretty close.

Gotta be Civic Type R's. They don't offer a particular good challenge but their drivers are so smug. Always good to get one over on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

Civic Type Rs and my brother in his M3 Conv (not alot off the time tho lol)

[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:
Not got an S3 im afraid , but i leathered a tegra type R at the lights the other day in my remapped A3 Quattro!

[/ QUOTE ]

He cant have been trying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif ITRs are quick in a straight line and even better round the twisties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

What power does the Quattro have ?

He says it was remapped/chipped should see off a Integra easily then ! Could take them in my MK1 GOLF G60

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Again not an S3 but a chipped A3T....

For straight line then my best races have to be between me and Jaybe in his chipped S3, away from the lights he has it, but then at higher speeds I can leave him on acceleration, so overall it's pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Surely a chipped S3 is going to be quicker at all speeds? It has to be about 60BHP up?

Or have I missed something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Munkey - Trust me , the guy in the teg was trying. My A3 is running 220 bhp and shed loads more torque than a type rNo doubt they are a very capable motor but remember , i have 4wd to his 2. It was late at nite so the roads were dampish, in the dry it may have been a different story. Satisfying none the less though!

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Again not an S3 but a chipped A3T and have given a good hiding to a chipped (maybe) S8 and a chipped S3, not to mention Drill on the roads, but this was not straight line racing but through the twisties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now, in my defense, I think I could've done a bit better on the twisty bits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But not on the straight stretches, we're just too heavy for that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:
Munkey - Trust me , the guy in the teg was trying. My A3 is running 220 bhp and shed loads more torque than a type rNo doubt they are a very capable motor but remember , i have 4wd to his 2. It was late at nite so the roads were dampish, in the dry it may have been a different story. Satisfying none the less though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot you had 4wd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif One up for the Audi's then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Just wish the A3/S3 sounded as good as the Honda, especially when the 2nd stage vtec kicks in

Still though, I would rather be in an Audi rather than some cheap looking honda !!

Love to see a Intrgra compete against a chipped S3, then !

The s3 would anihalate a tegra m8, when we got up to about 60 he was rapidly gaining on me so i braked (to save face lol) And Munkey , when youve got the power why shout about it ? I'd rather be a little more stealthy and suprise a few people !

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Again not an S3 but a chipped A3T....

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Surely a chipped S3 is going to be quicker at all speeds? It has to be about 60BHP up?

Or have I missed something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well an S3 is about 300kgs heavier compared to a FWD A3T.
Also the Quattro takes a lot from the available power.
Combined the 200/210 bhp chipped FWD A3 from Gammba on a dry road is quicker then my chipped S3..... sad but true.
However the topspeed of the S3 is probably higher.

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
Combined the 200/210 bhp chipped FWD A3 from Gammba on a dry road is quicker then my chipped S3..... sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was the top speed thing that confused me especially. As the speeds rise weight becomes less of an issue, since top speed is purely down to power and aerodynamics, AFAIK.

Still wouldn't have expected a chipped 1.8T to be quicker accelerating than a chipped S3. Are you sure your car isn't down on power? Just to put it in perspective, I wouldn't expect a big difference, just a little in favour of the S3.

[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:
My A3 is running 220 bhp and shed loads more torque than a type r

[/ QUOTE ]

220BHP...what mods to get a genuine 220 BHP?

[ QUOTE ]
munkey said:

Just wish the A3/S3 sounded as good as the Honda, especially when the 2nd stage vtec kicks in

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that...that's the closest thing to 'engine sound' heaven I've ever owned! Awesome...

Its got a custon Apr Remap, and a quickshift induction kit. Thats all. Rolling roaded @ 219 bhp, they are 180 standard, so really its about the same increase on a chipped a3t, 150- 190 ish bhp. Cant remember the torque figure , try and dig my graph out tonite.

[ QUOTE ]
ScottyKemp said:
Love to see a Intrgra compete against a chipped S3, then !

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be in for a shock too...

Sure the ITR is cheap looking...it wasn't designed to look good, it was designed to be a drivers car...which to be quite frank, is something VAG just haven't ever made...period.
Sure there were some great VAG cars....but none even playing the same game as an ITR.

Anyone who looks at the times for an ITR and makes their decisions are frankly, a muppet. They obviously have no appreciation of chassis dynamics and the thrill of driving a properly engineered and set up car.

The ITR isn't a fast car. It was never sold as a 'fast car'...it was sold as a homologation special for touring car racing...and anyone who has done a few track miles in one will tell you...there's nothing to beat it this side of £40K for it's new selling price.

As for the S3 being quicker...I'll give you my view as someone whos owned both:
The S3 is quicker on bad roads, wet days, with the missus in the passenger seat...any time where sitting yer **** in the sublime comfort of an Audi interior matters...because the S3 is a road car primarily.

Put them both on a track...different story. The S3 is an ill handling, overweight, numb steering, crap braking pile of the preverbial...the ITR is sublime.

I used to lap quicker than S3s, Impreza turbos, Lotus Elises, WRX STIs and the like...both wet and dry...so there goes the theory about the ITR being crap in the wet.

You can't get grip in the ITR above 6000 RPM in the first 3 gears in the wet, for standing starts...but who cares?
When it corners like it does...not me!

If you happen to meet someone who knows how to drive his ITR properly, and you are on a smooth road...you may well get a fright...and get handed your **** on a silver platter!
Sorry boys...but there is nothing you can do to an A3 / S3 to make them stick with a well driven ITR...that's from experience.

Even with 270BHP+ / 305+ lb-ft of torque and a well set up S3...I'm still slower than I was in my mildly tweaked ITR, on my favourate roads...safer in the Audi...but ultimately not as fast. Oh, and it feels good in the ITR...it just doesn't in the Audi...it's just such a chore to drive the S3 on the limit.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Huh? Shouldn't be THAT hard. Mine's running 210 with just Oettinger remap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Or did you mean something else by "Genuine"??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's getting to the limit of what a K03S can do isn't it?
..and when you are at the absolute limit, getting that few more 'genuine' BHP gets tricky and expensive.

Ah, well THAT may be it then, because AFAIK I've only a K03, so if Jimbo's a K03S, then 220 would be a bit a few hp low then wouldn't it? Also, my dyno was run as std, with no intake or anything, but I wouldn't expect that to add up to 10 more hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ah, well THAT may be it then, because AFAIK I've only a K03, VVT, but only the std turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so if Jimbo's a K03S, then 220 would be a bit a few hp low then wouldn't it? Also, my dyno was run as std, with no intake or anything, but I wouldn't expect that to add up to 10 more hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScottyKemp said:
Thanks for that Ess__Three

Now i would still take my S3 anyday !

[/ QUOTE ]

So would I for everyday driving...which is why there's an S3 in my garage not an ITR...but I'd have another tomorrow as a trackday toy!

Unfortunately, an ITR is an evil motor car...it causes you to drive harder and harder until you get very familiar with the officers of the local constabulary who keep appearing at your door passing on thier concern about the reports they've been having about your driving...or you write it in spectacular fashion off by pushing far too hard.

Or in my case...both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Still the most focusses and enjoyable motor car I have ever owned / driven.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Ah, well THAT may be it then, because AFAIK I've only a K03, VVT, but only the std turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so if Jimbo's a K03S, then 220 would be a bit a few hp low then wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would...perhaps!
I didn't appreciate that the K03S's were that much more capable than the K03's...but maybe they are.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, my dyno was run as std, with no intake or anything, but I wouldn't expect that to add up to 10 more hp

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'd expect a big round number from the experience of all my testing...very round in fact...almost circular. A big fat f**k all! Might be wrong though...

[ QUOTE ]
ScottyKemp said:
What is the standard power of the ITR ? What do they compare like the Civic Type R ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar power on paper and in reality...the CTR is supposed to make a handfull more BHP and a bit more torque.
ITR is allegedly 187 BHP...mine was up at 196BHP as standard.

In a straight line...not much in it between the current CTR and last gen ITR...CTR is heavier.

On the corners the CTR can't get close...no LSD in the CTR...too high centre of gravity...no double wishbones all round...inferior steering feel on the CTR...inferior seats...no contest. ITR wins.

the car is a dec99 dude , Apr had never seen the engine code before, hence the bespoke remap. Aparrentlly theyve never seen a drive by wire on a 99 car? Dunno , im new to Audis mate , still learning the ropes (eagerly i might add!)

Only decent run I had was against a Scooby new shape WRX against my 225 S3, good fun until my ESP cut in when I hammered it into a corner following him, made me lose a lot of ground. Admittedly he did have the legs on the straights. I await the next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was the top speed thing that confused me especially. As the speeds rise weight becomes less of an issue, since top speed is purely down to power and aerodynamics, AFAIK.

Still wouldn't have expected a chipped 1.8T to be quicker accelerating than a chipped S3. Are you sure your car isn't down on power? Just to put it in perspective, I wouldn't expect a big difference, just a little in favour of the S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can be, dont know.
How can I tell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I've driven alot of S3's before i bought this one and it felt and still feels the quickest of all i drove.
But I must say that sometimes I thought of that too.... is it holding back somewhere? I dont have the tech knowledge to judge it.
Perhaps somebody can help me with this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Gee, I dunno, maybe if you knew someone close-by who had a VAG-Com you MIGHT be able to see if anything shows on THAT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Gee, I dunno, maybe if you knew someone close-by who had a VAG-Com you MIGHT be able to see if anything shows on THAT

[/ QUOTE ]

You might...but a failing MAF is normally the cause of ever decreasing performance...and thet's very difficult to correctly diagnose with a VAG Com...or any other diagnostic equipment for that matter.
The only sure fire way I know is to get it on the dyno...if it's 40-50BHP down...the MAF's ********!