s3 power steering

mrfaststu

Reaction score
hi guys coming home tonight in my s3 was giving it a bit come on to this nice sweeping bend and all of a sudden the steering went heavy anyway i had to fight the steering to get it home and it turns out a power steering pipe as split what di like to know is are they the same as a a3 turbo power steering pipes as my mates got a few he is breaking and how hard/easy job are they to change cheers

Take the plastic undertray cover off the front of the engine and have a look at the pipe there. Theres a couple of joins they can leak from. Not sure if they are S3 specific sorry. I'd get a new genuine one as second hand ones may have the same problem.

Get a genuine one mate, also whilst you are at it, only use the genuine P/S fluid from VAG, its a specific one thats needed for our cars and it only cost a few quid, so to be on the safe side, just use that one.

Pipes aren't cheap, though, IIRC was close to £100 for the ones on mine a couple of years ago.

cheers if i can get it back on the road using a 2nd hand one at least i can order a new one to fit the following weekend and at least i will know how it goes lol

@s3welshy im afraid to say that on the a3 turbos and the golf turbos i checked not 1 of them had the same pipes as what is on my s3 mine had a 2 pipe set up and all the other 1s i looked at at 1 pipe and when it came up in front of the gearbox it was shaped like a elongated series of Ss,
1 end off the pipe that split on mine was held on by a metal clip and then the other end had a compression fitting on it so what i did was cut the fitting off the pipe found a bit of pipe that was the same diameter and quality power steering pipe and double jubilee clipped it up and tested it and worked ok so with that i drove to another mates garage put it on ramps and done the pipe with a new bit and the correct fitting to hold it on for under £5 but not many places will do the pipe while its still on the car,but it can be done

no, the pipes are not the same as far as i know, someone with ETKA maybe can confirm that.

i also ordered a genuine one right after i bought the car because
the power steering pipe was way too rusted, but when i got to remove it saw one of the hoses cracked (that was the leak at mine)
changed all the pipes and hoses for power steering as i got some in mint condition from a guy braking an s3, so if you are still after a new genuine pipe
(the power steering cooling line) drop me a message