S3 Plastic Trim on Wheel Arches

Bells

Reaction score
Just picked up my S3 this afternoon and have a question about some plastic trim on the each wheel arch, both front and back I've attached some pictures. I asked the salesman at pickup and he said because I've opted for the larger 19" alloys they are to protect the side skirts from stones etc being flicked up but I'm not sure I believe this as surely this is the purpose of mudflaps? Didn't kick up a fuss as it's a local dealer so can pop back if necessary.

Are these usually removed as part of the PDI and have been missed? Or if they are meant to be on the car if so what purpose do they serve and could they be easily removed if I wanted?

I'll upload a few more pictures later of the car after I've had chance to drive it a bit more :smug:

Attachments

• IMG_7214.JPG
    IMG_7214.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 501
  • IMG_7215.JPG
    IMG_7215.JPG
    978.5 KB · Views: 606
Reactions: Djs3saloon
Mine does not have them if that helps!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just picked up my S3 this afternoon and have a question about some plastic trim on the each wheel arch, both front and back I've attached some pictures. I asked the salesman at pickup and he said because I've opted for the larger 19" alloys they are to protect the side skirts from stones etc being flicked up but I'm not sure I believe this as surely this is the purpose of mudflaps? Didn't kick up a fuss as it's a local dealer so can pop back if necessary.

Are these usually removed as part of the PDI and have been missed? Or if they are meant to be on the car if so what purpose do they serve and could they be easily removed if I wanted?

I'll upload a few more pictures later of the car after I've had chance to drive it a bit more :smug:
I know a guy with a FL sportback and he pointed them out when he was showing me around his car...pretty sure they are meant to be there

There are there for the wider wheels, this has been mentioned before, possibly needed by law. Even our fiesta has them...

Reactions: Bells and Rob2k68
Mine does not have them if that helps!

Think you and I don't have them, despite having 19" wheels... As we have the saloon and it has a wider arch / track than the HB/SB

So yeah, nothing to worry about @Bells :)

Reactions: Steelster, Bells and Rob2k68
Yep required to meet tyre coverage legislation as said before just take them off if you don't like them ;o)

Looks like you have 10-15mm spacers fitted so they stick out more than when the car left the factory.

That will cause more stone chips than worrying about the plastic bits.

Poke with standard OEM 19s :-

Front...
IMG 3755

Rear...
IMG 3757

Thanks for all the replies, they don't really bother me but I didn't see them on the demonstrator S3 I had for a couple of days before ordering, but that was a saloon so makes sense :smug:

Think you and I don't have them, despite having 19" wheels... As we have the saloon and it has a wider arch / track than the HB/SB

So yeah, nothing to worry about @Bells :)
Every day is a learning day :D

Reactions: Bells, Rob2k68 and azibux1
It's due to EU legislation about how far the wheels can stick out. I have a 3dr hatch with optional 19s and these came with them but had I opted for the standard 18s they are not required

I have them on FL with 19's - i though they looked odd initally but i have grown to like them!

Perhaps remove and wrap?

Yep, there for a purpose.

They are easy to remove, just stuck on behind the arch liner. Pull and twist them and they will come away. My fronts are off from when a detailer removed them, haven't put them back on and not sure if I will.

Reactions: Bells and Rob2k68
I have them on FL with 19's - i though they looked odd initally but i have grown to like them!

Perhaps remove and wrap?

Remove and bin LOL :friends:

Reactions: azibux1 and Tom.H