1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*S3 Owners* What Uprated Suspension?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Rob-Quattro, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Rob-Quattro

Rob-Quattro Member

As it says in the title, what uprated suspension are you S3 owners using (other than coilovers or airbags)?

What kind of drop did you get and what handling setups are you using? Anyone done camber etc like the R32 chaps do?
  2. brough74

brough74 Member

Just H&R springs which are minus 25mm and a bit more toe in
  3. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

H&R 25mm springs and H&R ARB's
  4. Rob-Quattro

Rob-Quattro Member

Cheers chaps but I should have made it clearer, as I don't have the S3 suspension as standard I was after shock and springs setups not just springs :keule:
  5. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Sorry to go a bit OT, but those of you with springs and standard shocks, how are you finding it? I'm thinking of going for H&R springs with a 30mm drop on the GTI when it arrives, but worried about making handling worse/bouncy ride due to shocks etc

Rob, I know you specifically mentioned "other than coilovers" but I can definitely recommend Weitec coilovers after running them for 2 and a half years.
  6. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Very difficult to talk about dropping the suspension and uprating in the same sentence. It might look cool in Tesco's carpark or even be better on the track if you want to spend a huge amount of money but it will never be uprating on the road.
  7. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Uprating on the road as in what sense? Handling? Or comfort/ride quality?
  8. Rob-Quattro

Rob-Quattro Member

The car handles fine now but I want it to handle the same with a slight drop. As for looking good in a car park I'm not just lowering it for show, I do drive my car how it should be used but would like it tightened for track so H&R ARBs are also being done but want it all done at the same time so I don't have to have the 4 wheel alignment done twice. Thanks Scott, I really can't be dealing with the hassle of coilovers again, plus I would lower them too much and loose the handling I want.
  9. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

Get the H&R cup kit then - springs and shocks!
  10. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member

I'm just on H&R springs for now, as a quick and very cheap short term solution to avoid new wheels making the car look raised, but the ride isn't fantastic. With standard shock constantly in slight compression you lose the first inch of bump absorption. Once the brakes and wheels go on, once the snow/cold goes away, and maybe once I've pout a deposit on a house, I'll probably look at getting Bilstein B8 shocks (a strong 8L favourite combination). I don't want the compromise of coil-overs since I don't have any need for their adjustability, might look into getting the H&R shocks to match the springs.

And, also, definitely get the H&R ARBs, they sort the rolling and cut out a lot of understeer too.