s3 owners help

nickmc

Reaction score
hi there im looking at buying an s3 at the moment. just got a few questions

what kind of mileage should i be looking for for a 2001 car i had a look at a 2001 y reg today that had 74000 miles on it for £12900 is this highly priced

is there anything i should look out for when buying one?

and any advice you can give for buying one would be great.

thanks nick

Nick

yes, for that money you should be getting at least 51plate with about 40-50k nowadays. make sure you get a facelfted version. also from late 2001, they changed from 210 to 225bhp, but after the facelift was phased in. Rarer colors generally better for resale, loads of silver and black out there though if thats your thing.
options- try for Bose, heated seats(if leather not alca), 6cd, poss 18" rims.
If you want more advice on prices, you're welcome to PM me. i've had plenty of experience of changing my audis over the last 2 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Hi mate,

I bought an S3 4 weeks ago now and took me a while before I found a good one. I got a 2001 Y reg with 60k on the clock with 3 months warranty left for £11400. Main things to check for are the common problems i.e. bushes, xenon motors etc

A car with 74k will also be needing its cambelt done around 80k so 6 months down the line you would have a £400 bill if you went to the audi dealer.

cheers guys that helps loads.

just a couple more how much better is the 225 to the 210?

is it a lot better to get a 225 than a 210?

i plan to play with it a little like A remap/chip, exhaust, filter,maybe a intercooler etc would i be better with a 225 or 210 for that and what are the best mods to gain the extra horses.

again any help would be appreciated and sorry for all the questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cheers nick

nick

once remap is done, theres no difference.

if you want a modded one, youd be better looking for one thats already been remapped.

don't start a debate on here aboutwhich remap to go for though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cheers trekbiker

just one more question now

i know about the different engine codes for the 210 and the 225 but where do i find the engine code if i want to check when looking at them?

thanks nick

Engine code is written on the stickers in the spare wheel well and the service book.

Under the bonnet you can also see it on the front left hand corner of the head.

the sticker will have it stated in KW not bhp .IIRC it is 156/165 (210/225) but i'm sure someone will concur

my jan 02 S3 had 25k on the clock when i bought it & that was for 16000 its in showroom condition & has, bose symphony 2, heated leather & alloy mirrors

[ QUOTE ]
the sticker will have it stated in KW not bhp .IIRC it is 156/165 (210/225) but i'm sure someone will concur

[/ QUOTE ]

yep it's KW... your looking for 154KW (210BHP) or 165KW(225BHP) though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep it's KW... your looking for 154KW (210BHP) or 165KW(225BHP) though.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats 2kw between friends eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nick,

I purchased an S3 on Tuesday. It's a 2001(51), 41K,1 owner,black,exc cond and I paid £12.5k. It's a 210, but that doesn't bother me, I'm getting it revo'd next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Lee.