S3 overheating

AL CPW

Reaction score
Iv got an S3 8L and recently experienced overheating hit 120 in temp and pulled stright over, turned it off and twisted off the rad cap n pop went all the water, guessed my fan or thermostat had packed up> had the thermostat done and now wondering if its the fan relay/fuse thats gone. Just wondering where the fues/realy for this is located. Its got to be either the fuse/realy or fan thats packed up as its not coming on at all.

Hope someone can help me thanks

Water pump failure by the sounds... new water pump required... guessing it wasn't done on the last cam belt replacement..

<tuffty/>

Second the water pump, sadly.

If its getting that high whilst driving, then suspect water pump.

If its taking forever to get up to temp, then probably thermostat.

Fans have no bearing on cooling whilst driving.

Agree in this case the waterpump....although thermostat failing can cause overheating aswell as underheating, I've experienced both when a thermostat has come to the end of its life. Last time it overheated whilst driving and the spring on the thermostat i took out was noticeably chunkier than the one i replaced it with, holding the stat closed when it died, causing the overheating.

Yeah iv changed the thermostat, questioned the water pump but spoke to Audi in they thought it could be fan relay, i reckon water pump but my head is really bouncing all over the place

Ok, is it overheating whilst being driven at speed?

If so, I don't think the fans play a part at all, but the waterpump flowiing water through the rad does the cooling.

If it's still overheating, then almost certainly waterpump, especially as you've ruled out a blocked thermostat by changing it.

Fan faults would only come into play whilst stationary etc.

try changing the cooling fan fuses, they're ontop of the battery in a little plastic box, you'll find they have more than likely corroded and are making a bad connection.

most definately waterpump, my car overheated last week, so thought i would change the temp gauge and thermostat, whilst i had the thermostat out i had a good poke around inside to see if there was any bits knocking about because that could cause the thermostat to be blocked closed. I couldnt repeat the words when i could feel that my waterpump had broke haha. The pump is quite close to the thermostat, so if you take that out and stick a finger or 2 in..... :no: towards the offside of the car you will feel the waterpump impellor and you will be able to tell if its damaged.