S3 or vx220

I

imported_velcrobix

What would you get for £13,000, a 1999 S3 (50k) or a 2000 vx220 (17k)??

VX220 far more rewarding drive but not practical

[ QUOTE ]
velcro said:
What would you get for £13,000, a 1999 S3 (50k) or a 2000 vx220 (17k)??

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends what you want to do with it really....

If you have use of another practical car, get the VX220. If you don't then get the VX220 anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thing is, im thinking a chipped s3 (260-270bhp)is going to be quicker, as well as a bit more practical.

People always talk about quicker. A Nissan Sunny GTI-R would be even quicker, why don't you get that. End of the day, straight line speed isn't always the number one thing. What its like to drive is more important, and what would be more fun. The VX would be a lot more fun, and also, even against a chipped S3, it would probably win becuase its so light and can take corners a lot quicker. Yes S3 would be more practical, but as somebody said if you have another car then it won't matter. Someone on top gear even said once that VX was almost as good as Elise. Now how can you compare that to a S3? and how is a S3 going to be quicker? Straight road maybe, but that aint gonna happen.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
Someone on top gear even said once that VX was almost as good as Elise.

[/ QUOTE ]
The VX is in fact the same car as the Lotus - same chassis, and actually built by Lotus for Vauxhall (I think!). Round a corner these things really do the business, and they're not in any way slow as they weigh next to nothing. I think you'd be better off with the Vauxhall if you're after a real drivers car, but the quality of an Audi would suit you better if it's going to be your only car. The S3's no sloth, as we all know, but for sheer thrills the VX wins hands down.

Drew.

VX220/Opel Speedster was originally designed by GM and then Lotus did all the chassis work, handling, manufacturing etc and GM have just done the marketing.

The Top Gear quote was that the "Vx220 turbo was better than the Elise" but since that, the Toyota Celica VVTI engined Elise has been unveiled. Think i'd still have the VX220 over the Elise, personally. Although i'd probably have the Opel badges as they're more aestetically pleasing.

Was actually thinkin about S3 Vs VX220 literally the other night. Came to the conclusion about the practicalities of a S3, and the uncomfortability of the Roadster on longish journeys would determine any decision. Same as the New SLK Vs TVR conversation I had with my mate yesterday. Conclusion was VX220 or TVR if you have a reliable, comfortable and practical daily driver already.

Hi guys, I have been in Thorney's (of AmD) VX220 turbo running about 280bhp I think with a custom remap and chargecooler system, and can honestly say that no chipped S3 would have a chance against it in a straight line nevermind the twisty's, it's a rapid machine! The title of this thread reads 'S3 or vx220', so am I correct in thinking that Velcro was about the N/A version of the VX220?

Yeah which version of the 220?

2.2 or 2.0 Turbo?

Both good, but the Turbo is better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i havn`t driven the vx220 but have sat in both the lotus and vax and got to say the lotus just felt better/looked better to me but a mate used to work as a vax mechanic and he just slated the range for problems but never commented on the vx220. I had considered a simular route before the S3 should i buy a S3, vx220, lotus, s2000, type r (no) but went for the s3 as a good all rounder.

VX 220 Turbo has 'supercar' performance, so would annihilate a S3 - even more so on a track.

Completely different cars though, difficult to 'compare' the two. Anyway the thread must be about the 2.0 N/A version as the first thread says 17k 2000 car (Turbo wasnt out 4 years ago)

Dunc

If the title of the thread was "which was quickest" then I think everyone would be in agreement that the VX would beat the S3 hands down.
If the title of the thread was "which is the most practical everyday driver" then I would argue strongly in favour of the S3.
I personally would prefer a fully loaded fantastic all-rounder over a stripped out sports car.

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Anyway the thread must be about the 2.0 N/A version as the first thread says 17k 2000 car (Turbo wasnt out 4 years ago)

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing.

They only do a 2.2 or 2.0 Turbo. So you are incorrect.