S3 or Golf R or even an S1?

A lupo, or a polo or something, with a classy stanced sticker on the rear window and a drainpipe, started revving at the lights next to me today.

It was so funny to not bite and just watch him tootle off, alot of noise for not much speed though :D.

Reactions: Dazzeroo and steeve
Perhaps you should have done an emergency stop because of the dog that ran across in front of you?
our local highway patrol (don't ask why we have a highway patrol on suburban streets), have no humour and are armed and as they were close enough to probably rear-end my car..... maybe not an option

And I saw another white one in Bham last night.. Driving like a mentalist. Sounded rather nice though :)

Worthy winner imo! Better chassis than S3, quick and reasonably priced.
Dave

Autocar doesn't represent the whole world's opinion, it's just one bloggers deluded opinion who happens to work there

You clearly didn't even bother reading it !

Some people have difficulty accepting that the Golf R is a better drive than a S3 ;)

You know me too well!
This is an Audi forum, of course we're gonna stick up for the Audi's lol

Personally, I'm happy to accept that the R is better 'dynamically', what I don't get is the apparent gulf between the R and the S3 - at least in terms of automotive column inches and therefore perceived as a real dynamic gulf. It's as if the S3 is doggy-doo in comparison, or maybe they just totally blank it given it is dynamically inferior / more expensive / same manufacturer group etc.?

I'm in two minds - I'd rather joe public bought the R rather than a S3 to keep the S3 as a rarer sight on the roads. I guess the lack of back-patting for the S3 helps in that regard.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
Some people have difficulty accepting that the Golf R is a better drive than a S3 ;)
It may well be V8, but until I drive a Golf R back to back with a S3, for me anyways, its just some so called experts opinion ;)

& TBH I find the Motoring press quite fickle :hi:

A bit :sign ot: i know

But there seems to be a lot of new BMW M3 / M4's where I live. I see at least 1 to 2 a day

Still haven't seen a S3 saloon tho'

Reactions: Martinbanshee
A bit :sign ot: i know

But there seems to be a lot of new BMW M3 / M4's where I live. I see at least 1 to 2 a day

Still haven't seen a S3 saloon tho'
I see BMW often but still no A3/S3
Saloon. Our cars will be unique!

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I test drove an R and it was fun, very quick and had nice firm seats but for me the S3 is the better overall package. I'm glad I went for the S3 rather than the R as the interior is a much nicer place to be but its still very quick plus I'm not doing track days so a few tenths a lap mean nothing.
The Golf R is a great car and I'd happily have one but if there's a choice it's the S3 for me.
If you asked my youngest son I suspect he'd pick the R.

Reactions: elpaulio, Bristle Hound and veeeight
It may well be V8, but until I drive a Golf R back to back with a S3, for me anyways, its just some so called experts opinion ;)

& TBH I find the Motoring press quite fickle :hi:

Actually, the most amusing thing on this forum is the inconsistency and fickleness of the Audi fanboy ;)

If there is an article about how wonderful the S3 is, it's held up as a shining example of the car (and nothing said about the reviewer or journalist) but if there's an article bashing the S3, or even worse (gasp), daring to suggest that the Golf R is a better car, then all of a sudden the journalism/reviewer is called into question.....

Very fickled and inconsistent, I put it down solely to this being an Audi forum and full of fanboys :)

Dispassionate objectivity is not one of the stronger traits of the Audi fanboy. There is only one group even more sycophantic, and that is the Apple fanboy !!!

:lmfao:

Reactions: S3quatt, glospete, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
Audi & Apple = Quality, The Best, Untouchable...

Joking

Reactions: mcnallys, elpaulio, Dazzeroo and 2 others
Audi & Android = Quality, The Best, Untouchable...

Not Joking
emoji6.png

Actually, the most amusing thing on this forum is the inconsistency and fickleness of the Audi fanboy ;)

If there is an article about how wonderful the S3 is, it's held up as a shining example of the car (and nothing said about the reviewer or journalist) but if there's an article bashing the S3, or even worse (gasp), daring to suggest that the Golf R is a better car, then all of a sudden the journalism/reviewer is called into question.....

Very fickled and inconsistent, I put it down solely to this being an Audi forum and full of fanboys :)

Dispassionate objectivity is not one of the stronger traits of the Audi fanboy. There is only one group even more sycophantic, and that is the Apple fanboy !!!

I was actually saying the Motorring press is fickle, not members of ASN or any other motoring forum for that matter

TBH I haven't seen a truly negative road test on the S3. Don't for get V8 I ordered a Golf R in the June Leasegate scandal. I know they're a damn fine car that's why I ordered one!

I suppose I've just got the hump with journalists :angrymod:

Have a read on the Golf R forum V8, surprisingly that's full of VW fanboys ... ;) :D

If really want to see sycophantic, try the S3 vs R discussions on any of the VW Forums.

Having driven both the R & GTI PP on the track I appreciate the R's handling and performance, but not its low rent interiors compared to the S3 (our OZ Golfs and S3 come standard with lots of items that are options in the UK, and the R misses out on some options unfortunately available in the Uk and European markets).

While one 1 or 2 of the reviews mention the S3's understeer if pushed too hard, too quickly into corners, none of the reviews back-up the claims of the poor handling, understeerer that gets posted on this forum.

I have driven both the Golf R and S3, both had 64 plates on them.

Golf R; Comfortable, smooth, quiet and was fast but didn't feel like its 300BHP would suggest. I really like the look of the Golf R, subtle yet meaty and really well balanced. Although I thought the interior was crap, not as good quality as my A3 and really boring (could have been a MK5 golf interior.

Audi S3; Need I say more than I test drove it and ordered one straight away! Feels more modern and a bit better screwed together than the Golf. Oh yeah and I prefer the looks with the lower roofline of the S3.

You've been drinking, haven't you!

Bet you're glad you didn't have the flat sensor!!

Bet you're glad you didn't have the flat sensor!!

Saw a flat ACC sensor on a new lapis blue Golf R a couple of days ago. Looks decidedly aftermarket IMO

Didn't realise the actual difference until you see both

@veeeight - With being a
newbie.gif
on ASN I can't find any pics of your S3 :think:

& I ain't looking thro' all 2647 posts of yours! lol

Link(s) please ;):D

Reactions: Blackwhite
Unfortunately, similar amount of comments about soft paint in the USA forums about Estoril and Sepang :(

veeeight,

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car and color do you have?:think: