S3 or Golf R or even an S1?

It's the last module, A9, and its a percentage scale. 0 to 100%.
Adaptation
Channel of Structure borne sound actuator
And there's a test mode (sine wave frequency sweep) which is quite fun when the neighbours are around ;)

Do you know what it's default value is?

Damn he is quick :)

There is some thinking that the early Golf R like my one were louder than later models. When mine is on full 100% I do get distortion. I wonder whether it is the same for the S3.

How did people first find out about the Golf R lease deals?

I went into the Audi showroom last week with a friend (he wanted to look at a couple cars) I thought I'd ask just to find out how much a lease deal would be on the new S3 saloon. The price was Around £570 per month for 3 years with 3 months intial payment upfront and 10k mileage per annum. I thought that was too high to be honest. If a good deal did come up (closer to 300 per month) I would do it without a doubt. Seems like a great option to choose over buying the car outright and then selling afterwards.

You know I've always said I liked the S3, but to me the interior was just something that didn't float my boat....I think some were saying that it is the future and isn't going away, and who knows what the future holds...

VW Has just given us some insight of what he future could hold. I do wonder how you could integrate this with several pop screens blocking all vision....Tesla has shown the way, imo, and it is only going to get increased...And with gesture control, haptic feedback, improved voice control, this level of integration is in my opinion only just beginning. Here is hoping that Audi at some stage is going to join in as well and update its interior style accordingly...

http://www.cnet.com/videos/vw-shows-...-golf-r-touch/

Reactions: mister.c.
Golf R lease deals are back:

VW Golf R 2.0TSi 300 5dr Hatch Man (Solid Red)
9+23 ( 2 Year)
8,000 Miles Per Annum

Initial payment = £2024.91 + Vat
23x Monthly Rental = £224.99 + Vat

Doc Fee = £150 + Vat

(Personal lease £269.99 inc. VAT)

http://www.centralukvehicleleasing....lease/63193/volkswagen/golf/20_tsi_r_5dr.html
Total cost for 2 year lease, incl. doc fee & VAT - £8819.66

'Tis about £1500 more expensive over the 2 years than I was going to pay in June ...

Anyway, isn't this an Audi site? :moa:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blackwhite
No, it will either be a R400 or RS4 or AMG - next year, maybe. Can't stomach the depreciation loss on the S3 just yet :)

Reactions: RYuill and Blackwhite
Drove both a golf R and a S3 and the golf R is actually a better car better adaptive suspension too! And most of the options of the s3 are standard on the golf

I personally just prefer the 4 rings over vw

Blackwhite
No, it will either be a R400 or RS4 or AMG - next year, maybe. Can't stomach the depreciation loss on the S3 just yet :)

That's a good choice, perhaps other than the AMG.

Just read the first page and was about to comment when I realised there are 14 pages :p

Anyway, I read the Top Gear magazine just once, and it had clarkson slagging the absolute cr*p out of Audi's saying they are just for muppets who tailgate. I love Clarkson, I find him hilarious and I love Top Gear, which really seems like a complete ****-around more than an actual serious review show (as many others agree) - so I think they are wrong, definitely - I actually think that BMW's tailgate way more than Audi drivers, not to mention mainly people that drive BMW's seem to think they own the road and have to be absolute a*** holes in and out of the car, (if anyone has a BMW on this forum i'm sorry, it's not every BMW driver but it does seem that way) in any case, any moron in a car can tailgate, and do, and can be a*** holes in and out of the car so my point is invalid. Anyway, where was I? - he/the reviewing team or whoever did it, said the A3 had standard naffness in every model. When it came to BMW 1 series/BMW in general (absolutely ugly in every way, annoying start up noise that chimes 3 damn times for utterly no reason when you start the car ((don't hold me to this, not sure if it's the seatbelt not on warning, either way, annoying) and not to mention the interior isn't so nice either) - also, Mercedes A class (not much of a fan, the interior isn't nice, that tablet display ruins the interior that you cannot hide away because it's that damn ugly. The MMI/iDrive whatever they call it has a cheap looking knob to control it, the plastics low down via a car buyer review were pointed out to be not mercedesish and were total crap you'd expect in a MUCH cheaper car, but on a car twice the price... also not a fan of the models that have a diffuser that shows the exhaust back box, looks very cheap, spoils it!) TG absolutely praised these cars, not pointing out any flaws at all, oh and to top it off, that 'ultimate driving machine' spun out on Clarkson in a straight line when racing a Golf GTI at 110/120MPH for no reason (was raining heavily though) - could've killed him - ultimate driving machine my ****, never been a fan of them. They also said the A3 was boring - i'm sorry but it screams biased, it's funny that all the other reviewers rate the A3 5 stars, say it's best in class, then TG are like no no no no - there was so much hate for Audi's in general I threw it in the bin and haven't bought another magazine since, i'll stick to the show... saying that reading through what I wrote makes me look biased to BMW's, so i'll even it out with there are some nice BMW's.

Still, the things I said about BMW & mercedes was why I didn't go for them, as thats what I think about the 1 series and A class, also the engines were a lot to tax (petrol) and aren't that economical, but saying that my 1.4 COD is cheap to tax and insure, which is probably cheaper than the BMW/Merc but I don't know about MPG. It's one bull**** after another on MPG claims anyway.
As for the Golf, I do like the Golf, loved the Golf's before it and was tempted by the GTI but as i'm not a fan of rough suspension and high insurance/tax I left it, but the Golf over the A3 doesn't do it for me, so I had to go for the A3 - way nicer interior and exterior in my opinion.

I'm sorry that the S3/Golf R/S1 thread just turned into that above but I had to mention it when I seen some hateful comments against the TG mag, as I totally agree. Just to note, the above mentioned is all about the normal cars, not the performance ones. I still don't like BMW's but AMG's have my vote. What a sound!

As for which i'd prefer, I'd prefer the S3 any day, but for my price range at my age spending about £34k (thats what it came to in the configurator with the spec on my A3) is just too much right now, it's a shame the S3 doesn't seem to me like your getting so much more car for an extra 7-10k more over an s line, but i'm perhaps saying that because I haven't driven one, and as I said wouldn't want to pay that much so I think i'm kidding myself.
I think i'd choose the S1 as I do like that car, I actually did consider this also, but again, it came to 30k with all the options I would've liked, 30k is 4k more than what I've spent on an A3 - plus the A1 is smaller, interior doesn't do it for me at all, and it's 30k for an A1?! :audibash: Quad exhausts and total savage acceleration though perhaps changes my mind ;)

Anyway, i'll let this thread get back to the proper reason it was for and not a slag-off fest :p

Last edited:
The £185 is + VAT BTW... If I didn't do 13k/year, I'd probably swap the A3 for that....

Looks like the S3 is up for an award

I'd think the Mercedes or one of the BMW's may win it.

I suppose that's quite a reasonable review. I do note however that little if anything is made of cabin ambience. But they may feel that's not an issue.

The car wow review is pretty fair IMO

Clarkson's bias is well known. Personally, I don't give a cr*p what anyone else thinks. Opinions are exaggerated as a majority if cars in this class are all excellent for different reasons. For my needs, the S3 ticked every box. Let down for BMW was RWD and image and let down for Golf R was image.

Reactions: slinemfc
Clarkson's bias is well known. Personally, I don't give a cr*p what anyone else thinks. Opinions are exaggerated as a majority if cars in this class are all excellent for different reasons. For my needs, the S3 ticked every box. Let down for BMW was RWD and image and let down for Golf R was image.

Wow.

Clearly, you didn't even bother watching the video ;)

Reactions: Pulp84 and elpaulio
Problem with Clarkson etc is he is used to driving his Ferrari or whatever so he gets in a 300hp hatchback and it is slow to him. Whereas when we buy an S3 it is fast to us.

I would probably take an S3 over an R, R seem low on options and when you spec them the lease deal gets high very fast! Also I prefer audi's MMI to vw's.

I don't lease cars currently always bought them in cash but it is looking more sensible to lease.

Problem with Clarkson etc is he is used to driving his Ferrari or whatever so he gets in a 300hp hatchback and it is slow to him. Whereas when we buy an S3 it is fast to us.

I would probably take an S3 over an R, R seem low on options and when you spec them the lease deal gets high very fast! Also I prefer audi's MMI to vw's.

I don't lease cars currently always bought them in cash but it is looking more sensible to lease.
Woah that's a thread revival and a half! Nearly two years old :p

Reactions: S3 Turbo