S3 New Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 As2/3??

Reaction score
Guys,

A couple on you have said recently that the old GY Eagle F1 Asy 2's are better than the new 3's.

Can you confirm if that's the case and why? I've heard the 2's offer better rim protection.

Looking to get a new set on my S3, and finally rid myself of the horrible conti's from the factory

Cheers,

Changed to Asy 2s on my car after 6k and really enjoyed them especially as you say after the contis. Nice square profile that look to fill the arches better and decent rim protection.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and 4K
Hi
Have put Assy 3s on the S3 and they are a big step up from the Conti's. Mutch quieter and grip seems much better in both wet and dry.
I had Assy 2's on the TT I had. Rim protection was a lot more on the 2's. Handling was a lot better, but the TT was better on Conti's than the S3, so not sure if the Assy 2's were better or if it was just down to the car

I had 2's on my car and have replaced them with 3's. The rim protector which was a very good feature on the 2 is almost non existent and very poor on the 3. As for grip, noise, ride quality etc they are pretty much the same. A very good all round tyre .
Have a look at tyreleader.co.uk for tyre prices.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Which year S3s came with conti? My 2016 has pirelli p-zero

Reactions: Rob2k68
2013 - 2016 had Conti Sport 5 tyres. Some 19" wheels came with the P zero. Saloons sometimes had different tyres but most had Contis.

I personally didnt find them a bad tyre but when it cane to replacement I thought I would try something else.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 3"s on my car and very happy with them. They do not provide as much rim protection as the ASY 2's though. If u want protection you need the ASY'2's as the 3's dont really offer anything on the S3 alloy. See pics in thread.

Lots of chat about tyres in the sticky threads

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-tyres.254513/page-3

Jungle

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Ahh right yeah mine is saloon so that probably explains the P-zeros

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just a thought on this.

As you probably know, tyres can lie around an age before they're bought - I believe you shouldn't buy tyres more than 4 years old as they can degrade in storage. No doubt you're OK with a mass market retailer but just to be sure you'd be in no doubt that Asy.3s are fairly new as they havent been in circulation for long. All other things being equal this might be the tipping point in going for latest design.

My S3 has been delivered with Bridgestones.... Not sure which ones but I'll check later on

Reactions: pburv
Just a thought on this.

As you probably know, tyres can lie around an age before they're bought - I believe you shouldn't buy tyres more than 4 years old as they can degrade in storage. No doubt you're OK with a mass market retailer but just to be sure you'd be in no doubt that Asy.3s are fairly new as they havent been in circulation for long. All other things being equal this might be the tipping point in going for latest design.
All tyres have a date code stamped on the sidewall. It's 4 digits and denotes wk/yr of production. e.g 1416 is wk.14 2016.

Many online retailers have old stock hence the price point.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Quite right Don but its amazing how many people dont know tyres are plainly dated.

I just fitted asy 2s and am having an mpg and pressure nightmare. Think I'm the only one from what I've read though! 235/35/19.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just a thought on this.

Cheers for that. Yeah, I did go for the ASY3's in the end.

Can only echo what others have said here if anyone comes across this thread in future. There is virtually NO rim protection, despite the ******** saying there is, and advertising it on the rubber of the tyre itself. Still, they have vastly improved the handling on the S3. However, the steering is still trash, and I will be binning this car next year. S3 has the worst handling and suspension of any car I've ever driven.

Cheers all for help.