S3 MPG -what's yours?

Yeah I've heard it improves with a bit of mileage mate :)

Green peace mode lol!!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Yeah I've heard it improves with a bit of mileage mate :)

Green peace mode lol!!
Aye Green peace mode,when l put my empty cans of Bud in the Recycling bin...lol..seriously it does get better 30 mpg is good for a 297 bhp car, ST was 34 mpg 247 bhp so cant complain now,but horrendous to begin with.

Reactions: Blackwhite and Simon L
im averaging out around 22-23 in a manual with 6500 miles on the clock, i cant help it sometimes i put it on Eco mode and actually try to reserve but then i get bored and back to dynamic mode it goes !! only use shells petrol but never actually used v power nitro plus as i don't actually know the difference ?

Reactions: Simon L
32mpg on way to work, 30/40/50mph mix - about 4 miles distance
40mpg if sitting about 70mpg on duel carriageway

That's with the dtuk box with latest software

i average 25mpg most of the time round town / going to work, and get between 33-35 on a long run driving around 85mpg in cruise control.

always fill with shell vpower

Running the DTUK box

Cant complain at those figures when theres over 360bhp on tap

Last edited:
As a matter of interest, do all you S3 owners fill your tanks with 98 RON super-unleaded? I was advised to do so when I took delivery of my car, so I always have done. In my area the cheapest 'proper' fuel is Esso at 121.9p/litre, although if you feel you can trust Tesco it's 2p/litre less.
I use mostly Tesco Momentum (probably about 80-90% of my fuel) and it;s been fine. Over 20k miles now and not a problem. Used it in my old car too.

11k miles. Tesco Momentum 99 Auto DSG gear box

36.8 MPG on a run ( and thats not driving like Miss Daisy - just driving normally - 75-80 mph cruising along motorways with Aircon on and ACC on.)

As a matter of interest, do all you S3 owners fill your tanks with 98 RON super-unleaded? I was advised to do so when I took delivery of my car, so I always have done. In my area the cheapest 'proper' fuel is Esso at 121.9p/litre, although if you feel you can trust Tesco it's 2p/litre less.[/QUOTE]

As others have stated there is nothing wrong with Tesco Momentum. I generally try to use it everywhere or Shell V max.

I remember reading somewhere that you are better going to a garage that is well used and busy vs a place that sees little use ( especially when purchasing the higher octane fuels which are used less common).

Tesco is always well used !!

I beleive it was to do with sediment in the tanks at the petrol station. In a similar vane I am also wary when i get to a petrol station and a lot of the pumps have covers over them as they are empty. Once again that means drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank and hence some of the rubbish which must be sitting at the bottom. I am only like this as on an old forum a guy had a big issue with his car after filling up and sucking up a huge amount of toot from the bottom of the tank. Hassle.

Jungle

i average 25mpg most of the time round town / going to work, and get between 33-35 on a long run driving around 85mpg in cruise control.

always fill with shell vpower

Running the DTUK box

Cant complain at those figures when theres over 360bhp on tap

Whats your thoughts on the dtuk tuning box? Is there a review thread on this?

I'm averaging around 28-32mpg on a 10mile run to work mainly bypass driving at 60-70mph. Currently with 5.5k on the clock in my saloon s-tronic

As a matter of interest, do all you S3 owners fill your tanks with 98 RON super-unleaded? I was advised to do so when I took delivery of my car, so I always have done. In my area the cheapest 'proper' fuel is Esso at 121.9p/litre, although if you feel you can trust Tesco it's 2p/litre less.

As others have stated there is nothing wrong with Tesco Momentum. I generally try to use it everywhere or Shell V max.

I remember reading somewhere that you are better going to a garage that is well used and busy vs a place that sees little use ( especially when purchasing the higher octane fuels which are used less common).

Tesco is always well used !!

I beleive it was to do with sediment in the tanks at the petrol station. In a similar vane I am also wary when i get to a petrol station and a lot of the pumps have covers over them as they are empty. Once again that means drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank and hence some of the rubbish which must be sitting at the bottom. I am only like this as on an old forum a guy had a big issue with his car after filling up and sucking up a huge amount of toot from the bottom of the tank. Hassle.
Jungle[/QUOTE]

I actually use normal shell fuel save but after abit of research on the forum I'm gonna start to use v power nitro and nothing else apart from that if possible, never knew fuel made a difference thought it was all marketing guess I'm wrong..it is my first petrol car after all.

Whats your thoughts on the dtuk tuning box? Is there a review thread on this?

I'm averaging around 28-32mpg on a 10mile run to work mainly bypass driving at 60-70mph. Currently with 5.5k on the clock in my saloon s-tronic

I cant really fault it, the increase in power is very good, maybe a map would be slightly better, but this way i keep my warranty.

16 MPG or 14L/100 km on average since I do lots of enthusiastic driving, get stuck in tons of traffic and climb mountains on a regular basis.

Yep Tesco momentum all the way for me ;)

Look what my son captured whilst i was driving...Not bad at all!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Ferris Buellas Day Off moment... No just foot off the throttle and it leaps up to 300mpg !!

Car was never bought expecting this type of efficency but I am truly impressed truly with this...............

252 mile trip from County Durham to Hertfordshire yesterday afternoon yielded 36.8 mpg at an average speed of 60 mph. tank was filled at start of journey and DIS still read 185 miles to empty when I got home.

I'd be happy with that Daveotto. To be honest, I reckon I'll be getting closer to 40mpg on my daily commute as the road is straight and flat and you tend to get stuck behind traffic and are restricted to 50-60mph. I've been getting close to 50mpg out of my A6 2.0TDi on this route. Indeed, my average in that car is fast approaching 46mpg (approx 2 year old now with 31k on the clock).
I'm expecting the S3 to be thirstier - without doubt..... particularly as it will induce more boy racer antics out of me. But for the Mon-Fri back and fore to work, I'll be happy with anywhere between 35-40mpg.

BTW, what the heck has gone on with petrol and diesel prices? 10+ years of owning diesels and the price has always been more than petrol. As soon as I order a petrol engined car, the price gets cheaper! Sod's law!

Car was never bought expecting this type of efficency but I am truly impressed truly with this...............

252 mile trip from County Durham to Hertfordshire yesterday afternoon yielded 36.8 mpg at an average speed of 60 mph. tank was filled at start of journey and DIS still read 185 miles to empty when I got home.

That is very decent Dave, but seriously you need to stop driving like an old granny! Average 60mph indeed ;)

Reactions: Daveotto
I have averaged 32mpg since I collected in December (on board computer not manually worked out). My commute is mainly 10mins town then 2mins dual then 10mins country with mix of 40/50 mph. Only get's the beans on the dualer and on the country road if I am late or stuck behind a slow car....which is all of them... not bad tbh and has impressed the wife as she thought it was going to be horrific when 1st got it. :)

That is very decent Dave, but seriously you need to stop driving like an old granny! Average 60mph indeed ;)

Lol - That's a fair pace TBH given the amount road works on the M1 and the long sections of variable speed limit.

Look what Wife Mode can achieve: a theoretical 390 miles... Husband mode has to be selected when empty tho...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 270
Reactions: sgtvic and vacant
22mpg.
Yup 22.

Then again, it's only got 120 miles on the clock.

I'm driving 200 miles to weston supermare tomorrow for the banksy show so I'm hoping on the return trip I can select efficency, cruise at 70 and get slightly more...Maybe. lol.

Quite a few questions about MPG on the new S3 from prospective buyers, so thought a new thread might hold value (apologies S3 thread haters).
Useful for owners to let the good folks know what these cars produce in the real world, and how this improves after some miles are added.

The brochure states as follows:

Urban 31mpg (manual) / 32.1mpg (s-tronic)
Extra urban 48.7mpg (manual) / 47.9mpg (s-tronic)
Combined 40.4mpg (manual) / 40.9 (s-tronic)

My car is an s-tronic sportback, 1200 miles, averaging 24.8mpg.
Drive it hard (how it should be driven); use only VPower; ran it in sympathetically for 250 miles, then increased the revs whilst warm up to around 750 miles, and since then, no holding back (always once the car is warm though).
Generally use auto setting with the occasional flick into dynamic, won't use the other settings.

This I would class as my combined figure (70mph/30mph/50mph roads), although not taken it on any hundred mile trips as yet.

I'm happy with that, my other car averages 16-18mpg, maxing at 26mpg on a long run.
The S3 might improve as the miles go on, but I'll never expect more than an average of around 28mpg, these cars should be driven hard!

My manual on the same run to work (15 miles, 70mph, 30mph in town, 40mph, 50mph) as the s-tronic is averaging 31.
Same route, same driving style, over 20% better economy than the s-tronic.
Only difference is I don't have cruise in my manual and its a saloon over Sportback.

This is a bit of a surprise.

My manual on the same run to work (15 miles, 70mph, 30mph in town, 40mph, 50mph) as the s-tronic is averaging 31.
Same route, same driving style, over 20% better economy than the s-tronic.
Only difference is I don't have cruise in my manual and its a saloon over Sportback.

This is a bit of a surprise.

31 mpg in new S3 is a great result,my S3 S-Tronic was 23-24 mpg for the first 3k miles,only in the last 2k miles its gradually climbed up to 32 mpg,that''s as good as it gets,happy with that,super unleaded does not make a difference to the mpg/performance in a S3...it did with the Focus ST...IT GAVE ME 252 BHP instead 247 bhp......corker of a engine best l have had..no lag...the rest of the car was typical Ford though...dodgy electrics/lights

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
31 mpg in new S3 is a great result,my S3 S-Tronic was 23-24 mpg for the first 3k miles,only in the last 2k miles its gradually climbed up to 32 mpg,that''s as good as it gets,happy with that,super unleaded does not make a difference to the mpg/performance in a S3...it did with the Focus ST...IT GAVE ME 252 BHP instead 247 bhp......corker of a engine best l have had..no lag...the rest of the car was typical Ford though...dodgy electrics/lights

Talk about bang on mate, just got back from filling her up and mine's on 23.5mpg at 820miles ;)

Reactions: pburv
I could normally get around 42mpg on Long Journeys & about 32mpg round Town, when I had my S-Tronic S3 Saloon, in 'Comfort' Mode.
Obviously used noticeably more when in 'Dynamic' Mode & using the S-Tronic box as a Manual!

For the BHP/Performance it has, its a pretty Economical Car!

From a full tank i usually get around 170 miles - mainly town driving.

I don't know if I should be proud or worried at this considering I live 60 miles from glasgow, then again I didn't buy it for its mpg so I'm going with f**k it

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
I drive my car every day in Dynamic mode, had it for 6months now and it gets driven properly the trip computer #2 menu is currently reading 32mpg. Mixture of dual carriageway and normal B roads driving at reasonable pace roughly 50miles round trip every day. Not too bad considering my last car was an edition 35 golf with effectively a detuned version of the golf R engine and at best I got 26mpg. The engine really has progressed quite a bit being a mixture of great performance and fuel efficiency.

I always find it easy to spot S3 and Golf Rs that drive in efficiency mode all the time by the condition of tailpipes.

I drive my car every day in Dynamic mode, had it for 6months now and it gets driven properly the trip computer #2 menu is currently reading 32mpg. Mixture of dual carriageway and normal B roads driving at reasonable pace roughly 50miles round trip every day. Not too bad considering my last car was an edition 35 golf with effectively a detuned version of the golf R engine and at best I got 26mpg. The engine really has progressed quite a bit being a mixture of great performance and fuel efficiency.

I always find it easy to spot S3 and Golf Rs that drive in efficiency mode all the time by the condition of tailpipes.

Which is why 170 miles from a full tank is beer talk, even around town. That equates to aprox 14mpg......................geez you could probably get that in an RS6 *** lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
I think you might be taking the p1ss young Sam!! lol
Im being 100% serious - The most ive had from a full tank in the 6000 miles ive done is 210 miles and that is serious good driving. Ill be honest tho my driving styles dynamic ha. When i refuel for full tank £60 odd quid the dash shows 225 miles although when i first bought the car it use to say 275-300.

Also people whats the top speed youve got your S3 8V's upto? I got upto 168mph on my *private racetrack* lol. Not sure how tho as i thought they are restricted to 155mph?

Im being 100% serious - The most ive had from a full tank in the 6000 miles ive done is 210 miles and that is serious good driving. Ill be honest tho my driving styles dynamic ha. When i refuel for full tank £60 odd quid the dash shows 225 miles although when i first bought the car it use to say 275-300.
Also people whats the top speed youve got your S3 8V's upto? I got upto 168mph on my *private racetrack* lol. Not sure how tho as i thought they are restricted to 155mph?

Maybe I'm missing something mate but that's a helluva lot lower than anyone else I've seen on here.

Mine displayed about 290 from new and is now up to 350 for a full tank. I drive it harder now than I used to but no way in your league....................yer too fast too furious for me!! lol

As for top speed, yer on yer own...................no way would I do anywhere near that even on one of Gatwick's runways!!

Reactions: Daveotto, Jassyo06, pburv and 1 other person
Maybe I'm missing something mate but that's a helluva lot lower than anyone else I've seen on here.

Mine displayed about 290 from new and is now up to 350 for a full tank. I drive it harder now than I used to but no way in your league....................yer too fast too furious for me!! lol

As for top speed, yer on yer own...................no way would I do anywhere near that even on one of Gatwick's runways!!
I know i was quite shocked to see how much others are getting nearly double what i do. But yes i am very heavy footed. Maybe when i next refill ill try to be steady and see what i get!

I know i was quite shocked to see how much others are getting nearly double what i do. But yes i am very heavy footed. Maybe when i next refill ill try to be steady and see what i get!

I think it's more likely yer gauges might be ****** mate lol

Reactions: pburv and Sam@ Stxtuning
This my recent attempt at sensible mpg(doesn't happen often).... This was roughly 70 miles dual carriageway.

Attachments

• DSC_0026.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 161