S3 MPG -what's yours?

8v S3 Manual. 1100 miles on the clock, Efficiency mode

Easily getting 28-30 mpg on my 8 mile commute which consists mainly of back roads (60 mph)

Ok i´m jealous, sadly our traffic in Lima is awful. I have to start and stop every block, while driving and hour and my speed average is 9 mph in that time, my car is giving me 15mpg. On a complete tank in city driving the car is giving me 190miles. I wish every day is sunday or have your roads.

Got an S3 8V, 14K on the clock, overall average is 29.8 and always fill with 99. Quite often find using the paddles in slow town traffic it gives me better MPG than efficiency mode. Managed a few 32-34's on long motorway trips of around 300 miles all in, with most of that spent on cruise control in low 70's. Goes down to high 20's when I'm around 75-80 most of the time. Do enjoy it when I get the chance as well, but find it quite efficient when I want it to be!

I got 34 mpg on my way into work today, my highest so far!!! My journey consists of 3 miles of hilly town (stop-start traffic), then motorway for 25 miles however my overall average is way down at 22.8!!!! I have only done 460 miles so plenty left to go yet :)

Mine does 42mpg on my 7 mile commute to work:)

The return journey usually is about 24mpg:(

Think it just might have something to do with living 300-400 feet higher than where I work.:jester:

Reactions: elpaulio
Mine does 42mpg on my 7 mile commute to work:)

The return journey usually is about 24mpg:(

Think it just might have something to do with living 300-400 feet higher than where I work.:jester:

I currently get 36-38mpg on the way to work and 30-32 on the way home for the very same reason. That's in my 320i xdrive. Interesting to see what I get in the S3 when it arrives by comparison.

mines on 850 miles on and is a 3 door s tronic and get these figures on a daily basis in individual/ auto box/ dynamic steering and exhaust -

Daily commute to work 95% motorway (16 miles) 32-34 mpg
Town 26mpg
I filled my car last week and have done 315 miles with a few blasts and mixed driving since and the display says I have 60 miles left so probably 40 miles in my experience. I haven't done a really long trip yet but have seen 37mpg on the motorway once.

I took the run in period to 250 miles and then increased the revs

Reactions: sgtvic
22.8mpg for me over 600 miles this month. I think it was ruined by my 50 mile blast in the dales which led to slightly smoking brakes. :detective2:

Getting around 30 mpg long term average on mine, not bad at all from a 300 BHP car. I've seen 40 when stuck on an A road at 50 for about an hour. Car is always in dynamic, always filled with 99 RON.

Depends on which part of my commute it is. On the way to work i can get up to about 34mpg, on the way home i'm about 17mpg :)

I am seeing a recurring theme here... We get less mpg on the way home from work! I think this might be down to wanting to get home asap after a hard days work and maybe, just maybe our MPG is reflecting this... just a theory of course :)

Reactions: nickatkinson, sunscreemer and Psyman79
Almost 9 months into ownership, with 11k+ on the clock, I've averaged just a shade under 31mpg since day 1, with 99% in Dynamic.

I've been generally impressed with the consumption as I was expecting closer to the 26/27 I typically achieved with previous two Leon CUPRA's.

Reactions: sgtvic
S3 Saloon with manual transmission; usually in dynamic mode (occasionally individual set as dynamic except comfort for suspension and exhaust .. more relaxing on long journeys!); usually deploy stop/start at traffic lights; climate control always on; 98 RON Esso fuel only; sympathetically 'run in' to 750 miles; daily trips into town and the multi-storey car-park with occasional longer runs; when I'm alone in the car I give it its head if it's safe to do so, otherwise limited by urban traffic conditions ... so far only done 1200 miles and averaging 23 mpg.

Not really that bothered - my old MG ZT 1.8T only managed similar figures but wasn't anywhere near as much fun to drive!

Got over 30 coming back from France - 700 miles at 95+ on acc. 98 Ron 10k on the clock. Happy!

38 mpg Bromley to Heathrow and back M25 in rush hour recently. Typically 25-27 mpg around local area in traffic.

just to add to my previous post I got 350 miles out of the last tank of Vpower 99 which is around 30-35 miles more than my previous 8P

Using Shell V-Power Nitro+ and over the last 996 mile I have achieved 31.6 mpg with an average speed of 25 mph.

Most of my journeys are in and around town, journeys to and from work are around 10 mins each way...I said I'd be happy with 24 mpg before I got the car, so 31.6 is a bonus :) I did try economy mode a couple of times when I first got the car, but it's now kept in dynamic 24/7.

Using Shell V-Power Nitro+ and over the last 996 mile I have achieved 31.6 mpg with an average speed of 25 mph.

Most of my journeys are in and around town, journeys to and from work are around 10 mins each way...I said I'd be happy with 24 mpg before I got the car, so 31.6 is a bonus :) I did try economy mode a couple of times when I first got the car, but it's now kept in dynamic 24/7.

If i average over 30mpg i think i'll be happy enough. Interesting given the nature of your journeys that you now leave it in dynamic. With the 8AT in my BMW i find that the dialled down throttle response in Eco Pro makes for much smoother in town driving. Was expecting it to be similar in the S3 - comfort or efficiency mode as default due to the nature of my commute and then switching to dynamic on the open road.

Reactions: Simon L
If i average over 30mpg i think i'll be happy enough. Interesting given the nature of your journeys that you now leave it in dynamic. With the 8AT in my BMW i find that the dialled down throttle response in Eco Pro makes for much smoother in town driving. Was expecting it to be similar in the S3 - comfort or efficiency mode as default due to the nature of my commute and then switching to dynamic on the open road.

+1

I'm amazed how many guys on here just leave it in dynamic all the time. For me that's missing out on the versatility of the car.

It's gonna be comfort all the way for me around town and on short journeys so I can fully enjoy the more luxurious character of it, and hopefully squeeze a bit more fuel economy). Then into dynamic, or more likely individual for a good weekend blatting ;)

(and no 'move over grandad' replies please) :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
+1

I'm amazed how many guys on here just leave it in dynamic all the time. For me that's missing out on the versatility of the car.

It's gonna be comfort all the way for me around town and on short journeys so I can fully enjoy the more luxurious character of it, and hopefully squeeze a bit more fuel economy). Then into dynamic, or more likely individual for a good weekend blatting ;)

I get sick of the "if you're bothered about economy you're buying the wrong car" comments. Who wants to be able to get no more than 20mpg when you're driving through a town and in a queue behind a tractor on your commute? When i have some clear road down the lanes on my way home though or when there is a gap in traffic then i would like some raw power please!

Yeah, absolutely mate ;)

TBH I kept the speed steady and switched between dynamic-eco, when going into eco I expected the revs to drop slightly = save a bit of fuel...they didn't! So I thought wth keep it in dynamic :) that way you get the sound from all 4 pipes all of the time, I'm sure in eco mode only 2 are open! I haven't even tried comfort mode, even when going up to the lakes on the second day of ownership lol...I will try it to see if I notice any difference :)

Who wants to be able to get no more than 20mpg when you're driving through a town and in a queue behind a tractor on your commute?
I get over 30mpg and as said mainly drive in and around town in dynamic mode....best of both worlds, OK economy around town and 300bhp always on tap :) It's the best car I have ever owned.

Reactions: sunscreemer

I prefer the steering in dynamic (it's too light in comfort), and it sounds better. :) There doesn't seem to be much difference in economy either way so I stick to what I'm used to.

Also, move over gr... oh wait. ;)

I don't have an S3 but a 2.0TDI-184 s-tronic quattro and have just spent a long week-end in Dortmund in Germany. With the normal (fast) driving on the way there and back I was getting 48-50mpg. But on the way I had just crossed the border between Holland and Germany and all the trucks now had to move to the inside lane only and the autobahn was de-restricted so I was building up the speed and doing around 100mph when there was a loud bang and a strange noise. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, put on the required reflective jacket and got out of the car and noticed I had a flat rear tyre. My car does carry a space space but with my physical problems there would be no way I could change a wheel so I phoned Audi Assist. After about an hour a German ADAC vehicle arrived and changed the wheel for me. I then had a further approx 70 miles to go to my hotel at a maximum speed of 50mph. During this rather boring bit of driving I noticed that my overall mpg went up to 75, which just shows how much driving style and speed can have a quite drastic effect on the mpg.

Fortunately a tyre depot in the nearest town had a tyre the same as fitted to my car in stock and about half an hour later all was back to normal and I could enjoy some fast autobahn driving again, especially coming back on Sunday when no trucks are allowed out on the roads in Germany, Holland, Belgium or France.

Surprised the revs didn't drop in Economy mode. For me that's the main thing that improves economy and in truth, with so much torque across the range the car doesn't really need to maintain higher revs to get the best out of the engine. I had expected from what i've read to configure individual mode for town driving then use dynamic for the open road. My wait really is seeming a wait now!

Just picked up my new S3 today from Watford, drove to Dover ferry port and got 38mpg!!! I drove the speed limit with a few spirited overtakes :) drive select set to auto, fuel was whatever Audi filled it up with. Let's see what the autobahn has to say ;)

Reactions: sgtvic and sunscreemer
7500miles, average speed 42mph, average 32.4mpg
Easy 40mpg cruising down the autoroute towards work, low 20s coming home (@1am ish)

Reactions: sunscreemer
Wife does not "appreciate" me driving too fast so have had the car in comfort mode for about 1200 miles through and around France and have averaged 48mph with a mixture of motorways (80mph), Aroads (55mph), town driving and an occasional blast and have managed 32.4mpg.

Expect it to be lower when I get home and spend more time in dynamic.

Ta Da!!
after an hour or so blast out with my mate against his wrx sti... t'was a fun morning!
:racer:
That's hard driving.... Should probably clean it now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
This one may raise a few eyebrows.....and no it wasn't being pushed at the time....for a bit of a laugh..

540bhp 8P

Answers on a postcard please....:welcoming:

No giveaways from those that have seen it before!

S3 Saloon (manual) - new eight and a half months ago, still only 2,800 miles, mostly dynamic mode but sometimes individual (comfort suspension and quieter exhaust .. for the wife's benefit!). I seem to be getting mid to upper twenties mpg, although long run to Norfolk and back during May holiday produced 33 mpg. Not too bothered really because I don't cover anything like the miles I did when I was working.

Similarly to Daveotto (above) my wife doesn't like speed either and, because we're retired, she's in the car 95% of the time (dammit!). On those few occasions when I'm flying solo I have it in dynamic mode and stretch its legs and clear its throat a bit on the local dual carriageway. Trouble is, you can be up to over 90 mph in third gear before you know it and what with all those bridges and lay-bys you can't be too careful .. too many Q-cars lurking with radar pointing your way these days! I do love the sound when you keep those revs up around 6,000 though!

As a matter of interest, do all you S3 owners fill your tanks with 98 RON super-unleaded? I was advised to do so when I took delivery of my car, so I always have done. In my area the cheapest 'proper' fuel is Esso at 121.9p/litre, although if you feel you can trust Tesco it's 2p/litre less.

As a matter of interest, do all you S3 owners fill your tanks with 98 RON super-unleaded? I was advised to do so when I took delivery of my car, so I always have done. In my area the cheapest 'proper' fuel is Esso at 121.9p/litre, although if you feel you can trust Tesco it's 2p/litre less.

Either Shell V-Power or Texaco Momentum.

Especially if your car has been remapped.

32.6 over the last 5k, mix of hard driving and cruise controlling along at 60. M135i did 28 doing the same journeys.

22 for me. Looks like I've been a bit more right foot heavy than I thought I would! Lol

Still who gives a stuff about fuel economy when your having that much fun ;)

Reactions: Blackwhite
22 for me. Looks like I've been a bit more right foot heavy than I thought I would! Lol

Still who gives a stuff about fuel economy when your having that much fun ;)

:iagree: :superman:

ln Greenpeace mode easily 38 mpg,ln Awesome mode 28 mpg 4500 miles,it used to be 23 mpg in every mode for the first 2k miles,but its improved with a average fuel consumption of 31 mpg happy with that.