1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 Misfiring on cold start up

S3 GHO Jan 13, 2014

1. S3 GHO

S3 GHO Member

Hi All, been a whilst since i posted but could do with some expert guidance before i start doing unnecessary stuff to the S3. I've had the car since May and as far as i know its mapped, otherwise standard. Put it through its MOT and it passed the emmissions tests. Its developed a problem over the past week where on cold start up, it splutters until i rev it slightly but continues to do this for about a minute. When the car heats up it runs OK. Does occassionally surge when on full boost but not badly. Car is my daily run around and does the 8 mile round trip to work and back so not really getting a good long motorway run. I've had all the vac hoses replaced so no boost leaks. Just trying to give as much info as is relevant. Car is due a service. Also last week filled it with Shell V Power insead of my usual BP ultimate which is when the problems started but dont see why this would cause a cold start....... or maybe? You guys hopefully can advise. I'm thinking maybe spark plugs could be fouled? Any other suggestions of what could be a potential cause?

2. panderoo

panderoo New Member

i had this and a new temp sensor sorted it, but get a genuine one as i tried a cheaper pattern part and it still had the problem.

Once i fitted the genuine temp sensor it was all good.

3. S3 GHO

S3 GHO Member

Thanks mate, does that throw up a fault code so i can check thats what it is?

4. panderoo

panderoo New Member

I didn't get any fault codes thrown up unfortunately.

Just the rough running briefly on cold starts.